Author Topic: marraige certificate  (Read 4214 times)

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marraige certificate
« on: Saturday 21 June 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
hello again my next search is for a marraige between john rigby and janet mcleod around 1790 to 1816 in midlothian on the son,s death certificate it states father john rigby  a soldier deceased mother janet mcleod deceased also his name on the death certificate say,s john mcleod rigby died 1861 age 50 husband of jean walkingshaw they married in 1831 i have most of their records  my brickwall is john rigby and janet mcleod rigby name could be different spelling then
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: marraige certificate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 June 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
Previous thread, connected but not directly related

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=690405.0

Note that you will not get a marriage certificate for John Rigby and Janet McLeod as they were married before the introduction of statutory civil registration in 1855. The best you can hope for is a listing in the parish register.

Just to get this straight in my mind. You have the marriage and death records of John McLeod Rigby, who was born about 1810/11. Do you have his baptism record? I presume that you have him in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census?

You are now looking for his parents, John Rigby and Janet McLeod. Why do you think they might have been married after John McLeod Rigby was born?

Have you checked Scotland's People including the Roman Catholic marriages? Have you checked the International Genealogical Index at www.familysearch.org?

If they are not there then the possibilities are
- that the marriage was never recorded, or, if it was, the record has not survived. This is the most likely explanation.
- that they were married somewhere other than Scotland, if John was serving in the Army at the time.
- that the record, if it exists, is in the registers of one of the dissenting churches or of the Episcopal Church of Scotland. In which case, you are looking for a needle in a bale of straw rather than in a haystack. Some of the surviving registers of the dissenting churches are in the National Archives of Scotland, but there are very few going back as early as that. (The Free Church isn't an option as it did not come into existence until 1843.) The surviving Episcopal registers are still with the churches or diocesan archives so unless you know where they were married you will struggle to find any record.

You would probably get on better if you could find John's Army service record. Try the National Archives http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ or Find My Past www.findmypast.co.uk
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 June 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Have you managed to find any further siblings for John born c. 1811? A possible George Rigby showing as born in Midlothian in 1841:

George Rigby 30 painter J(likely journeyman) b. Midlothian
Sarah Rigby 30 dressmaker b. Scotland

Address: Congatehead, Edinburgh

John and Jean had a son George didn't they?

Can't easily see George and Sarah in 1851, but these possible entries for George:

1861 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VB4K-6JP - shows as a lodger, still a painter by trade and born in Edinburgh. Note spelling shows as Rugby rather than Rigby for this index.

1871 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VB59-KGT - at a different lodging house. Showing as a coach painter.

If he is a brother to John, this George's death entry might show more (my only reservation is that if he is single and lodging for a long time, people may not have known much about him). On the positive side, maybe family or a close friend reported his death  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 June 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
I have been researching Walkinshaws from Newbattle Midlothian for a long time I have your John

Rigbie married to Jean Walkinshaw and their seven children in my tree .

Unfortunately I have never been able to find any more information on John's parents except their

names from his death cert.

suzilad

ADDED  George Rigby died in 1871 on death cert he was a coach painter but single -- his cousin registered his death parents John  mother Margaret Chisholm

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 June 14 15:27 BST (UK) »
There is an entry showing on the Scotlands People Old Parish Burial/Death Registers:

John Rigby, 8 July 1822, St Cuthberts Edinburgh.

A couple of other Edinburgh entries for Rigby:

Unnamed Rigby - 27 Feb 1832

Elizabeth Rigby (other name George Rigby) 4 Oct 1804 in Leith South

These are not death certificates with full details but entries on Parish Registers. Some areas are better than others in terms of what details were recorded. Some are no more than a basic entry, some have a little more detail. Edinburgh's OPRs are not bad often, but big but, you never know until you look what info was recorded.

Monica

Offline jamesharry1921

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 June 14 13:16 BST (UK) »
hello again i dont have john mcleod rigby,s birth or baptism record i am only going on the info on his death certificate because he married jean walkingshaw before the parent,s were recorded  on john mcleod rigby death certificate the informant was his son george.
i think he had a brother george but not the coach painter i have seen his death certificate and its not john rigby and janet mcleod i have been told that sometimes a wedding took place in the home so think my chances of a marraige certificate are going to be slim  carol
rigby.scotland
herd.scotland
walkinshaw.scotland
thomas.wales
jones. wales
greaves.yorkshire
nelson.yorkshire.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 June 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

At that time, most marriages took place at home or sometimes at the Manse. Records before the start of official registration in Scotland, from 1855, are from the Old Parish Registers. Many have been lost or destroyed over the years. Good to also note that only about a third of events were ever registered locally in the registers in the first place. See also, www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&627

This is great short informative read. www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/marriage/ Although it concentrates on the period post the start of official registration from 1855, there is background that is helpful.

The death cert you mention that you have seen for the other George Rigby born in Edinburgh. What were his parents' names showing on the death reg? Just curious about him...and the fact that your John and Jean also had a son George. Very often Scottish naming pattern had some bearing on the use of names for a couple's children.

Monica

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 June 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica and Carol,
                          Perhaps this might help
John and Jane Walkinshaw were married in Jan 1831 Newbattle Midlothian her father was Francis mother Jane.

Their children were as follows.
Francis b July 1832, John, George, Jean, Janet , John presume the other had died  and Margaret
Hope this helps.

suzilad

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 June 14 14:17 BST (UK) »

ADDED  George Rigby died in 1871 on death cert he was a coach painter but single -- his cousin registered his death parents John  mother Margaret Chisholm

Thank you Suzilad  :)

Any occupation given for George's father John? A possibility that a mistake may have been made on reporting of his parents' names (in respect of mother's name) by cousin?

Monica