Author Topic: Elizabeth McGlashon/Jenkins  (Read 2370 times)

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth McGlashon/Jenkins
« on: Wednesday 22 October 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on Elizabeth McGlashon born in Edinburgh in 1839 to Alexander McGlashon and Mary Ann Smellie. She died in Edinburgh in 1869 and her death certificate confirms that she was then married to Charles Jenkins. She died in her father's house and he is the informant. I can find nothing between these events, other than the 1851 census, when she was at home with her parents. She was no longer at home in the 1861 census, presumably married.

Can anyone help? When and where did she get married and did she have any children?
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth McGlashon/Jenkins
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex

What did it say on her death cert regarding her husband Charles Jenkins? Did he show as alive, what was his occupation?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

The only thing I have found is on A* in their England Andrews Newspaper Index Cards which confirms what you already know. It states Jenkins Elizabeth wife of Charles Jenkins dau of Alexander and Mary Ann McGlashon died Edinburgh 18.11.1869.
Descendents:

NN 5.11.1939

Perhaps it is worth exploring the British Newspaper Archive or the Scotsman archive to try to establish the source of the above.

Have you dismissed the Elizabeth McGlashan in the 1861 census b 1840 Edinburgh who is recorded as a governess in Dollar? Given that there does nor seem to be a marriage in Scotland or England one thought is that she may have married overseas.

Good luck with your search.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 14:27 BST (UK) »
From your info, William, the reference to wife of Charles implies he is still alive doesn't it normally?

Monica

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
I would agree, Monica. I have just read the blurb about the Andrews Newspaper Index Cards which says it features a collection of notices from newspapers and various official sources, such as the London Gazette. Approximately 250,000 cards include announcements of births, marriages, obituaries and deaths abroad.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
Tried the Scotsman Newspaper around those dates of Elizabeth's death as quoted, but couldn't see anything for her death notice on that. But then, I always find the Scotsman search screen tricky  ::)

Monica

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
I assume that her husband was alive at the time of her death - the certificate states "married to Charles Jenkins Banker's Clerk". I am a bit surprised that her father, not her husband, was the informant and that she died in her father's house. However the death was sudden and she was ill for only three days so perhaps she had been visiting her parents when she took ill.

I hadn't spotted the governess in Dollar so clearly this could be her. If only I could establish when Charles Jenkins came in to the frame. It does seem quite likely that as a married woman she lived outwith Scotland but it is perhaps a bit surprising that she doesn't appear to have been married in Scotland.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 17:47 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at the Dollar Elizabeth McGlashan, who seems to be a governess employed presumably at Dollar Academy. I am not sure what would be involved in being a governess at a Scottish boarding school but I would guess that it is domestic rather than academic duties. I then looked at the 1871 census and this has an Elizabeth McGlashan of the correct age in George Street in Edinburgh working as a dressmaker with her sister. They are listed in the trades directory as the Misses McGlashans so this does seem to have been a respectable business. Question is whether it is likely that this would be the same Elizabeth as worked at Dollar.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 16 14:44 GMT (UK) »
A postscript to this thread of just over a year ago. It seems that I am not the only person trying to find out about her. She died in 1869 but the personal column of the Scotsman of 31st October 1939 - yes 70 years after her death - has a note:-

"Elizabeth Jenkins (ne้ McGlashon) - Will any Person claiming to be a descendant of the above named wife of Charles Jenkins and daughter of Alexander and Mary Ann McGlashon, who died in Edinburgh on the 18th November 1869, or anyone able to give information concerning the existence or non-existence of such descendants. please communicate with Bircham & Co., solicitors, 100 old Broad Street, London E. C. 2."

An intriguing mystery!