Author Topic: * Tollerton and family  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
* Tollerton and family
« on: Tuesday 09 October 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out any information concerning * (maiden name Tollerton, whose parents were Frances Martha Skilling and James Tollerton, who were Scottish. In the early 1960s, Frances and James lived in Dumfries. * lived in Luton. in 1963, after visiting * and her family, Her parents were involved in a serious car accident in which her mother was killed. I am a grandson of Frances' sister Janet Skilling. Any help which anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Gordon

* name removed in case person is still alive

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: * Tollerton and family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 18:46 BST (UK) »
I think that it is very unlikely that Joyce Tollerton would still be alive as I am sure she was born around 1915. However, please accept my apologies for asking inappropriate questions.
Kind Regards
Gordon

admin08

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 19:44 BST (UK) »
Since Joyce's mother was born c1894 it was still likely she might be alive.

Death registration: Frances M. Tollerton, age 69, July-September 1963 Biggleswade Bedford. district volume 4a page 64.

If Joyce was the informant for her mother's death then you will get her married name but no way of knowing until you purchase the certificate.

I can't see a marriage for Joyce in England- would it have taken place in Scotland?

I can find only 1 birth for a child in Luton district with mother's maiden name Tollerton- but it's in 1970s.

Offline James Tollerton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi. Martha Skilling Tollerton was my grandmother. She was married to James Gillespie Tollerton who was a Regimental Sergeant Major in the Cameron Highlanders. When he left the Army he became Headmaster at the Dale School in Arbroath. In some of the other postings it was described as being a school of correction. When it came into being it catered for orphans and children who were abandoned as well as those who may have had trouble with the law. When my grandparents retired they returned to Dumfries which was the area ( I believe) in which my grandmother was raised. She died in a car accident in 1965. My Grandfather eventually went to live with my aunt in Surrey until he died in 1974?
My Aunt Joyce died in January this year. Her brothers James and Robert (called Robin) are also deceased leaving Ian as the only surviving child.