Author Topic: John Robinson of Dunstable & Elizabeth Rudd of Wandon End  (Read 7834 times)

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Robinson of Dunstable & Elizabeth Rudd of Wandon End
« on: Friday 22 November 13 21:07 GMT (UK) »
My gt gt grandfather was John Robinson, born Long Buckby 1823 and died in Dunstable 28 April 1914. He was a master grocer and had a shop in High St South for many years.

I am trying to find his place of burial but have come up blank - I think its possible he is buried in wherever Methodists are buried, as both his daughters were christened at the Wesleyan Chapel in Dunstable in 1855 & 63. Internet research seems to suggest that this was on the site of the current Methodist church on The Square.

I hope that if I can find the grave it might give details of his first wife Elizabeth nee Rudd born about 1822 in Wandon End (and that is the only detail I have about her). Confusingly, his 2nd wife was also called Elizabeth (nee Pearson).

Please can anyone help with any of this?
Thank you,
Angela Woodward

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Robinson of Dunstable & Elizabeth Rudd of Wandon End
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 November 13 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

His first marriage was in 1850 and can be found on freebmd

September qtr 1850 Luton 6  143      www.freebmd.org.uk

It's also on Family Search  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N2LH-8QZ

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 November 13 21:40 GMT (UK) »
A copy of the 1850 marriage cert will give her fathers name but as they married in Caddington - there is a possible 1841 entry showing parents as William a farmer & Sarah

I'll post the ref for future use

HO107 Piece 440/10 Folio 37 Page 10

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 November 13 21:42 GMT (UK) »
When did the first Elizabeth die?  Still alive in 1871

EDIT

Found it - it was March qtr 1879 and she was 56

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 November 13 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Carole, thank you so much for all this - I'm intrigued as to how you found it all as I thought I'd put extensive searches in and got nothing that I could say was the definitive one.

Ancestry put up so many possibles that I couldn't say whether it was the correct John & Elizabeth - unfortunately Robinson is far too common in that area (and I suspect many more) so I came to my brick wall. Searching for the death of Elizabeth Robinson also got me nowhere!

I think the William & Sarah entry is probably correct as I found an article about a religious sampler Eliz had done as a child and it mentions a farm.

I would still like to find out where John is buried - do you know how I would go about finding out?
Thanks very much for all your help,
Angela

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 November 13 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Bedfordshire.  As you have his full death date, I can only suggest you ask the Bedfordshire Records Office if they hold burial details and can tell you the location.

If somebody from the Beds area reads this - they may be able to give you a better solution

Just as a by the by re: Ancestry search.  From what you say it sounds as though you are using what they call the "new" search which we all hate.  You should see a "go to old search" in very small print on the far right of the screen which is what the majority of us use.

Click on it and see if it's better for you

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 22:04 GMT (UK) »
A little anomaly Carole - I think the death date for the first Eliz is incorrect as she is still alive on the 1891 census: born abt 1822 in Wandon End whereas the 2nd Eliz was born in Herts abt 1844. More searching for me to do, and I'm going to try the old Ancestry one this time!

EDIT: I can't find a link for the old search anywhere - could you give me any more details please?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 22:18 GMT (UK) »
anyone with a sub to British newspaper Archive able to check the full article for this, from the free search, as I think it will have the answer

Dunstable Notes
“... late Mr. John Robinson, of  High-street South, Dunstable, took place Monday. Previous to the service at the grave- side, a service was held in the Wesleyan ... ”

Friday 08 May 1914 ,  Luton Times and Advertiser

There are also a couple of notices in the same paper on Friday 1 May

Offline BlackpoolBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!! Following that idea, I found a snippet which allowed me to work out that the 1st Eliz died on 11 Dec 1899, and since your snippet mentions the word "Wesleyan" in connection with John (which I suspected), I think she will also have been buried in the Wesleyan chapel.

I would love to read the full articles if anyone has access, and also to find out where the graveyard for that chapel will be (hoping it is still in existence).

Thanks very much for your help.