Author Topic: Ledger Family Doncaster  (Read 3028 times)

Offline cgrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ledger Family Doncaster
« on: Friday 24 March 06 03:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace a Thomas Ledger and Family of Doncaster.

I have been given a family of Thomas, Mary Mellish and their children - Ann 1808, Edward 1810, Frederic 1812 and Louisa b 1814 d 1820.

The first 3 children were born in East Retford and Louisa was apparently born in Doncaster.

Thomas's occupation is given as Joiner.

I am trying to find whether another child Henry Mellish Ledger was born in Doncaster  to this couple abt 1818/1820 maybe a year or two difference.

I feel this could be the family I am looking for because of the mothers surname which may have been given to Henry as his middle name. I just can't find anything on Henry to link them together.

Can anyone help. I'd really appreciate it.

thanks

Chris
Maltby, Oxford....Middlesex
Ledger, Bletchingdon... Doncaster
Radbourne, Berks...Oxford
Munns, Cambridge..Hertford
Clark, Huntingdon
Walker, Huntingdon

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ledger Family Doncaster
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 March 06 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi cgrace.  I don't know if this will help but I have found a Henry Ledger, born in Doncaster in 1828.  On the 1851 census it reads

Henry Ledger head marr 23 groom Doncaster Yorks
Jane      Do     wife  marr 23  (looks like) Appleton Berks
Henry or Harry son   un     1            Bletchingdon
Alice                dau    un     4mths    Bletchingdon

Hope it helps

CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline cgrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 06 08:01 GMT (UK) »
This is a strange one: The 1861 census has Henry at ten years older than Jane plus children

Henry 41  Doncaster Yorks
Jane 31    Appleton Berks
Henry 11  Bletchingdon Ox
Alice 10        "
George  8     "
Fanny  6       "
Frederick  4   "
William  10m  "

Chrissy59

Clark, Huntingdon
Walker, Huntingdon

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 06 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I have double checked my image and they are the same age.  In 1871 he is 12 years older than Jane! ???

I can email you a copy direct if you send me your email address

CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline cgrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 06 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,

Thanks for going to this trouble to find Henry but I do already have a comprehensive family tree of Henry and Jane and their children.

The problem I am having is trying to tie Henry to Thomas and Mary so Henrys birth and trying to find his parents is what I'm really after.

I don't even know if he had any siblings and when I check the parishes in Doncaster there seem to be so many so I can't even say which one that would be.

The 1841 census may help if anyone has access to that. It may show all of them.

Thanks again for trying

Chris
Clark, Huntingdon
Walker, Huntingdon

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 March 06 01:40 BST (UK) »
This is just a thought and you will most likely have already done it but have you got Henry's marriage certificate as it may have his father's name on it.  Here is a GRO reference for Henry Ledger

Bicester December 1848 Vol 16 page 71 on the same page there is a Jane Radbourn/Radbourne.

CJ

Offline cgrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 March 06 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hi CJ

Yes I have a copy of the marriage certificate and it has Thomas a cabinet maker as his father. But from there I am stumped.

The only good lead I have had is this family of Thomas and Mary Mellish and then only because of the Mellish name.

When I look through the LDS/IGI there are so many Thomas in Yorkshire I think I'm going stir crazy trying to find a link.

Chris
Clark, Huntingdon
Walker, Huntingdon

Offline GL57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
My name is Geoff Ledger from New Zealand,i also have been trying to put together our family tree on my dads side,through Rootschat and FreeReg i have found it of great help.i am related through Thomas And Marys son Edward,Louisa was baptised at St Swithins,East Retford,Nottinghamshire.there is a ref on Geni.com concerning Henry Ledger,born 1818,son of Thomas and Mary(nee Mellish),the person putting together the tree is Anne Groom who is the Great Great Granddaughter of Henry.
Hope this is of some help,you may already have this info,as I've just started looking it may be a few years ago you posted,
Cheers,
Geoff.

Offline cgrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Geoff. I actually only just thought about getting back in to the family tree after a couple of years break, so your message is very timely. I remember having trouble trying to trace Henry Ledger so I will have to pick it up again.
Thanks for Anne Groom as a contact I will definitely see it through. Maybe I can be of help to you at some stage. By the way,  I am also a great great grandaughter of Henry from his daughter Alice.
Regards
Chris
Clark, Huntingdon
Walker, Huntingdon