Author Topic: Birth Lookup Request - John Priestley Ovenden 1800-1809  (Read 1694 times)

Offline OvendenPriestley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Lookup Request - John Priestley Ovenden 1800-1809
« on: Wednesday 20 August 14 17:03 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be willing to check the Illingworth/Ovenden parish records for births of John Priestley between the years of 1800 and 1809?  Unfortunately the name couldn't be more common, but I don't know how to narrow it down without listing possible parents.  Thank you for any help you can give!

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Lookup Request - John Priestley Ovenden 1800-1809
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 August 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
Have you tried www.familysearch.org? There are a number of non conformist baptisms in Ovenden for the time frame you are after, plus a couple for Illingworth including a C of E parish register extract. At least you might be able to rule some of them out, especially if the family weren't non conformist.

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 August 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
Do you have the names of his children please?

Often christian names ran in families and an eldest son might be named after the father's father (but not always!!)

There are the following 2 baptisms to consider -- or to add to your possibles list;

6 May 1803 Illingworth, John the son of John Priestley

26 Feb 1804 Illingworth, John the son of James Priestley

However always check whether children you have found survived. Otherwise there is a danger of attaching yourself to a possible ancestor who may have died as an infant!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline OvendenPriestley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 August 14 02:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response!  I'm operating on the assumption that the family was non-conformist; I do have the children's names and baptisms for two of them in the Methodist and Wesleyan records listed below:

The children of Thomas and Lydia Priestley, all born in Halifax (Ovenden) were:  Sally (1831-, m. 1852? John Barton 9b67 BMD ), Ellen (1832- m. Squire Jackson), Thomas B. (1834-1891, m. Clarissa Leake, moved to US), Emma (1835-aft1897, m. William Speight, 2nd Greenwood King), Mary (1837-1914, m. Heber Illingworth).

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Halifax – Sally b. 06Jan1831, c. 19May1831, dau John and Lydia Blackburn Priestley
South Parade Wesleyan Halifax – Ellen c. 29Jun1832, dau of John and Lydia Priestley

Offline OvendenPriestley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 August 14 02:20 BST (UK) »
And you may be correct in your guess that son Thomas B. may be named after a grandfather.  There is no Thomas in Lydia's family, the Blackburns.  I had thought that Thomas B. might be a clue to a Blackburn, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Now if I could find a John, son of Thomas....   

Offline OvendenPriestley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 August 14 02:23 BST (UK) »
Last post!  That first one should read..."children of JOHN and Lydia Priestley"!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 August 14 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

This one may be a little late -- but it is a baptism date as opposed to a birth date;

John Priestley son of Thomas and Martha Priestley of Ovenden-wood baptised April 28th 1811 at Zion New Methodist Chapel at Ovenden.

A Thomas and Martha Priestley also seem to have had at least the following children baptised at the same chapel;

Elizabeth 1809 (abode Rough Hall Warley)
Sarah 1813 (abode Ovenden)
Hannah 1815 (abode Ovenden)

This chapel's records are on Family Search, also on The Genealogist website. The ref no is
RG4 3408.

There is another couple around called Thomas and Sally -- but they don't appear to have had a son, John.

(I don't know if this helps or hinders!)

I will look further at that Ovenden Chapel later to see if there are any Johns born earlier, but with a different parent.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 August 14 17:41 BST (UK) »
There are also the following baptisms at the Zion Methodist, Ovenden - for children named John Priestley between 1800 and 1810.

17.2.1805  John, son of John and Susey Priestley, abode Brinshools (may have died see below)
12.5.1805  John, son of Job and Hannah Priestley, abode Smithey Lane
28.8.1808  John, son of John and Susey Priestley, abode Hell in Warley (sounds a nice place!)

It is such a commo name in the area - and the Methodist baptisms, coupled with the C of E ones make it very difficult for you I'm afraid.
Places of interest;