Author Topic: Thomas A. Young, Aberdeen 1851  (Read 10316 times)

Offline mairepad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas A. Young, Aberdeen 1851
« on: Tuesday 10 April 12 16:09 BST (UK) »
I have a watch with the inscription Thomas A. Young Aberdeen 1851. Family lore says it belonged to my great-great grandfather. The first concrete evidence of him is the 1870 US census which has him living in Jersey City, NJ USA.
I think I may have located Thomas in Aberdeen in the 1841 census. He would have been 11 at that time which fits with the Thomas I found in NJ who was 40 in 1870.
Does anyone have any info on this Thomas Young?

The GROS Data is   168/0A    03/0A   0/29
This is my first post here, and I apologize if I have violated any niceties.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas A. Young, Aberdeen 1851
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
Well, he could be yours, but you cannot assume that he is the right one without a bit more evidence.

It isn't unusual for someone at 'acquire' a middle name later in life, so your Thomas A may have started life as just plain Thomas Young.

It could also be the case that the watch originally belonged to his father or grandfather.

A search on FreeCEN http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl for T* Young, born 1830 plus or minus two years, turns up 100 results. However there are just two in Aberdeenshire, one aged 11 and one aged 7.

The International Genealogical Index lists just two Thomas Youngs born in Aberdeenshire in 1830 plus or minus two years. One of these is an 'extracted' listing of the son of Alexander Y and Elizabeth Humphrey, baptised 2 October 1828, so he would have been 12 years old on the date of the 1841 census. The other is a 'submitted' (and therefore to be treated with suspicion until you have seen and assessed the reliability of the original document) listing of the son of William Young and Catharine Wilson, baptised 31 August 1828, who would also have been 12 on the 1841 census day.

Alexander Y and Elizabeth Humphrey also had Alexander, who would have been 16; Jane, who would have been 14; and William, who would have been 8 on census day.

William Y and Catherine Wilson also had Mary Ann, who would have been 11; George, who would have been 9; and  Isabella, who would have been 7; all three 'extracted' listings, so more reliable. There is also a 'submitted' listing for Thomas' twin, John.

The 11-year old is in York Street, which is in the docks area, with Jean Young, 60; Jessie Park, 20; and Alexander Young, 17, ship carpenter apprentice.

Where, when and whom did Thomas marry? When did he emigrate, and were any of his family born in Scotland?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mairepad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
First, let me thank you for the reply and the information.

I really have nothing but the watch to make the Aberdeen connection. I do not know when Thomas emigrated, and have not been able to find him prior to the 1870 US Census. In that he is listed as being born in England and his age was given as 40 years.  On his eldest son's marriage certificate and death certificate Thomas is listed as born in Scotland. Apart from an 1870 birth certificate for a daughter these are the only documents which I have for Thomas. No death certificate, no appearance in a different census year, no marriage certificate.
His wife was one Susan Flanagan, born in Ireland. They had two sons, Alexander (my great grandfather) and Charles, and a daughter Susannah Elizabeth. Apart from Alexander (for whom I have a marriage certificate and death certificate and census returns for 1910 and 1910) I have no documents for the children, either.

As for the Thomas who was 11 in the 1841 census I am intrigued to see that he was living with an Alexander who was a ship's carpenter's apprentice. Family lore (I know it's not reliable but it is all I have) says that there was a Scottish relative who sailed across the Atlantic several times and visited the family before being lost at sea. Could be Alexander.  I know that is likely fanciful, but who knows?
I don't know of any relations of Thomas Young that settled here.
Hope this wasn't too confusing.
Thanks again for your help.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 11:25 BST (UK) »
Just on interesting census entries....

There is a Thomas Young, aged 20 showing in Nethermill, Cruden, Aberdeen in the household of farmer Alexander Murray.

This Thomas shows as born in London and is an agricultural student.

Might fit with the English and Scottish refs? Given the engraving of year, wondered whether he was given it as a commerative gift?

Not sure if there is something in this as yet...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 11:43 BST (UK) »
Have you been able to determine what son Alexander's middle name was (likely the same as father's)?

From his RC marriage showing here as Alexander A Young https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FZ5W-P8X  This is a likely entry from the NJ 1885 census for Alexander after his marriage https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/65GD-N3Z

These must be the details you already have for the daughter Susannah https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FCV1-B4W

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is this the 1870 Census ?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MNDJ-96R

If so it gives the birthplace of Thomas as England(already noted  ::) )

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline mairepad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 12 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for all the generous attention to my query.

Alexander's middle name was Aloysius, likely taken as his name at RC confirmation.

I am always struck by the discrepancies in records concerning country of origin. Although the census for Thomas said England, I'm going with the other evidence which says Scotland.

I am making note of the Alexander in Nethermill, Cruden, and who knows, maybe that's him.

The 11 year old Thomas in the 1841 census strikes me as most likely and I will see what I can do along that line.
Thanks again.

Offline mairepad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 18:21 BST (UK) »
My original post in this thread says that the watch is inscribed Thomas A. Young. It isn't. The inscription is just Thomas Young, Aberdeen, 1851.
Just to note progress in researching this Scot, I did find his death record, Jersey City, New Jersey 1875. His wife died same place 1874.
Thanks to the records of the New York Emigrant Savings Bank, I discovered their address in Manhattan in the 1860s. I had lunch at the little diner that is now there over the summer.
I know where and when he ended, still trying to pin down the Scottish beginnings.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mairepad,

Just read through your thread with interest. Wonder if the watch was a "leaving " gift...either leaving Aberdeen or leaving the country? Or perhaps a 21st birthday, although I don't suppose many people would get an extravagant gift like a watch back then as a birthday present  :-\
I would just say Thomas or his wife probably supplied the information to the enumerator of the 1870 Census...therefore perhaps England as place of birth could be correct. They would be more likely to give correct information as opposed to other people when Thomas was deceased.
Thomas and his wife obviously died while their children were still young (according to what you have found and posted) . His son must have given Scotland as his father's birthplace when he married and whoever registered his death did the same. Maybe Thomas spoke of spending time there and his children thought he was Scots. :-\ 
Have you found a marriage for Thomas and Susan? And do you know if they were in the country for the 1860 Census? Sorry for the questions, just trying  to help :)
Looby :)