Author Topic: John William Spavin  (Read 3743 times)

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John William Spavin
« on: Tuesday 09 September 14 18:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry about this, but I'm trying to trace a person from my tree.

John William Spavin was born in Scarborough Yorkshire in 1864. He married Sarah Ann Jenkinson.

They had 6 children, two at least born in Scarborough, and four in Aberdeen ( between 1895 and 1903 ) ,

Sarah reappeared in Scarborough on the 1911 census, as a widow, with the six children.

Can someone please look up a death date for John William Spavin please? There's no trace in England that I can find, so I'm hoping his death can be found in Scotland ... and I'm guessing Aberdeen as that's where the four children were born

I'm afraid that I cannot be specific about a date, but it would be between 1902 ( child born in 1903 ) and 1911 ( date of census)

Thanks in advance .....

Daniel: Scarborough
Malyon: Essex, London
Bell: Northumberland
Gibbs: Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorks
Appleyard: Bridlington, Scarborough
Barton: Nottingham, Sheffield
Bunn, Sanderson, Gray, Hindmarsh, Tron , Tait and others - wife's family , Durham and Northumberland

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: John William Spavin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ index has a death for a John William SPAVEN 1903 , Banchory Devenick Kincardine(shire) , born c1865.  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 20:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.

The various people in the Spaven / Spavin family are very loose on the spelling .... I should have checked , Sarah came back as a Spaven so I have no doubt that you have found the right one.

I'm in England ( just over the border in Northumberland ) and I had hoped to get the date ( even just the quarter ) , but that information will do..... he's not a direct ancestor, I'm just tying up some loose ends.

Thanks again
Bunn, Sanderson, Gray, Hindmarsh, Tron , Tait and others - wife's family , Durham and Northumberland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
I had hoped to get the date (even just the quarter)

In Scotland, the death registers are arranged by year, not by quarter.

You can get that information at modest cost by going to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, investing in a few credits, and using six of them to find and download an image of the certificate. You would still have enough credits left to download the birth certificates of all four of the children born in Aberdeen.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 14:35 BST (UK) »

In Scotland, the death registers are arranged by year, not by quarter.

You can get that information at modest cost by going to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, investing in a few credits, and using six of them to find and download an image of the certificate. You would still have enough credits left to download the birth certificates of all four of the children born in Aberdeen.

Thanks

I just needed the details of his death and not the certs . I'm happy with what I have, and I don't need further details ( as I said, not a close relative ... ) .

I'm Yorkshire born ... deepest pockets and shortest arms in Christendom ... ;D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 16:49 BST (UK) »

I'm Yorkshire born ... deepest pockets and shortest arms in Christendom ... ;D

Good you have what you need  :) Refreshing to hear that it is a Yorkshire man who is careful with his pennies...and not just the Scots   ;D

Monica  ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
In Germany, they say that the Scots are Swabians who were kicked out for extravagance :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.