Author Topic: War Memorial Confusion - Charles Furber  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Mollybach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: War Memorial Confusion - Charles Furber
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 May 14 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, None of the family have ever mentioned his name is Charles on the memorial and surely Gran would have noticed!....a mystery!! I asked my Aunty and apparently he is mentioned inside the Church somewhere too and I presumed as Elijah. I will have to go down now to look. Yes the medals are coming to me and I am over the moon!

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 May 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's Charles on both, you can see the main one here: http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/cofadeiladau/meliden_wm.htm

I'm really pleased for you about those medals  ;D
WYNNE and HUMPHREYS - Soughton, Flintshire
LLOYD and JONES - Gwernaffield/Northop/Rhydymwyn, Flintshire
ROWLAND/S - Dinas Mawddwy/Merionethshire and Caernarfon

Offline Mollybach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 May 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks....how weird...its the first time I have ever heard the name Charles at all having never been to see the memorial myself. Elijah had the wanderlust and moved Gran and the kids lots of times before they came to Meliden. If you have spoken to Kate you will know they were from Broxton/Malpas Cheshire. My Gran Violet was the eldest born in Shotton in 1905. I will ask my Aunty the correct whereabouts of the terrace in Meliden where they lived. I know it is on the main road of the village.

Offline Mollybach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 May 14 22:43 BST (UK) »
My Mum and Aunty visited Elijah's grave some years ago in Ypres.

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 May 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
I'd traced them on their censuses and had seen they originated in Cheshire, I wonder why they picked Meliden..

I have heard it is on the main street, but am still not quite sure exactly where, it would be interesting to know, thanks.

This is the plaque inside the church :)

Offline Mollybach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 May 14 18:16 BST (UK) »
Wow, Charles again! This is weird! Just rung Aunty and she is 75 and never heard the name Charles mentioned in the family-Elijah was her GrandFather- but she does remember going to the church with her mum Violet and her not pleased that they had got her father down with the wrong name. First time I have ever known about it. Apparently Amy wouldn't have cared less anyway as she was going to part with him when he came back from the war. Elijah was lovely with Violet but Amy used to beat her and wouldn't even allow her to have photos taken when she married David Davies in Meliden church in 1923. When they were first married they lived next door to Amy in Kingshead Terrace but had a hell of a life so moved to Dyserth. The cottages were on the main road just past the crossroads as you come from Prestatyn direction. There was a Chapel on the left hand side which is now demolished and flats are there then Amy's cottage was first and Violet and David's next. Amy's sister Phoebe was already living in Prestatyn and it was her that found Amy and Elijah the cottage in Meliden.

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 May 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
What a sad story.

I know where those cottages are! Thank you!  :D

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 May 14 19:37 BST (UK) »
As a local,I was reading this post and noticed the name Bill Furber.Did he work at Chance Pilkington in St Asaph? I seem to remember that name from working there in the 1970s myself.

Regards
Roger

Modified:Apologies-the name may have been Forber.

Offline davew7316

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 September 14 08:38 BST (UK) »
I've just found this post.  I'm researching my family from Meliden and have just come across an unrelated death (either to you or me) in 1923.  The deceased living in King's Head Terrace.

Also one of my rellies was the inn keeper at the Red Lion.  His wife died at 'Red Lion Cottage' in 1905 and he died at 'Red Lion Yard'.  Looking at the Google street view, the Red Lion car park could easily have hosted a row of cottages,
Whitehead, Jones, Bennett, Pointon, Emery   - Staffordshire, Jones, Williams - Flintshire/Staffordshire