Author Topic: Tough Sisters, Clatt, Aberdeenshire  (Read 7542 times)

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tough Sisters, Clatt, Aberdeenshire
« on: Sunday 11 December 11 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone recognises any of these ladies. My great-grandmother, Isabella, is seated on the left and I think her twin, Mary, is seated on the right. I have been told that the lady standing centre is Annie and the lady standing on the right is Robina. I think the photograph may have been taken when all the sisters came back to Clatt for their father's funeral in 1938.
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tough Sisters, Clatt, Aberdeenshire Completed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 January 13 08:53 GMT (UK) »
I have finally found the names of the sisters (through a distant relative) so I thought I would add the names in case anyone should stumble upon this post in the future.
Standing l-r: Jemima, Georgina, Annie, Mary, Robina
Seated l-r: Isabella, Helen and Eliza (McBain).
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.

Offline J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tough Sisters, Clatt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm researching the Tough family tree for a friend.Jemima in the photo was her granny.I 've got Isabella and Helen as the twins.

Jane

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
Yes, Helen and Isabella were twins. Isabella was my great grandmother through her daughter, Mary Bella. I have been researching the Tough family for quite a while so if you have any questions please let me know. I would also be interested in information on Jemima and her family as, apart from her death date, I have nothing after the 1911 census.
Regards
Pauline

Offline J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,
I will get in touch with my friend and will message you soon.
Have a nice day.

Jane

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 10:59 BST (UK) »
You too
Pauline

Offline Halgary

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 January 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
This photograph was taken when Dot came home on a visit from her home in America in the early 50's.   This was the only time they had all been  photographed together

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 January 16 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Who was Dot? I don't think there was anyone living in America. By the 1950s my great grandmother would have been 70 and her sister Robina died in 1950.
Pauline

Offline jnorrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 March 16 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am very excited to find this post for Tough! I have been trying to locate some info on my Tough's and am hoping you may be able to help?
My Grandmother, Agnes Stewart Kean Tough Auld (I know its a mouthful - it has been a long story!) was born June 1901 in Aberdeen, her mother Jane Tough (formerly Kean) sadly died in 1902. Jane was married to William Tough b.1865, they were married March 15 1888 in Aboyne, after Jane's death my gran was 'adopted by Jane's sister Agnes Stewart Auld (ms Kean) and was raised as her own with her two 'brothers'. The problem is we have no idea what became of her father, William? We suspect he went to the USA as my Gran's blood brother, James Charles Tough b.1888 we know moved there around 1924. James married Elisabeth & they had two children Joseph & Margaret. They are known to have visited my Gran in Aberdeen and we know that there was also a sister Mary Ann Tough b.1890, who also moved to the USA (she died Nov 1957 in SC).
Sorry for the long winded history but I am hoping you may recognise any/some of the detail and can assist in filling in the gaps? I have found the Tough's extremely difficult to pin down, it seems to have been something my Gran kept hidden and only have personal letters & photos to piece it all together? I know both my mum & I would find out more.
Thank you  :)