Author Topic: John Hepburn and Elizabeth Gordon  (Read 7186 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Hepburn and Elizabeth Gordon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 October 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census shows Elizabeth Davidson is once again a widow. She is recorded as a baker employing 4 men and 1 boy. There are 3 children with her John Hepburn 27, Margaret Hepburn 22 and George Davidson 9. Address is Main Street, Belie, Moray.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 October 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
Libindx will have got this from the parish register and their statutory death certificates.

No. LIBINDX doesn't go out and extract information from statutory registers, and it doesn't normally index the Church of Scotland registers.

The references at the bottom tell me that the marriage and the baptism of Margaret were indexed from MF A Rh4.
MF means it is a microfilm.
A means it is a church register, but they don't index information from the Church of Scotland registers because that is readily available in the IGI.
Rh means it is from the parish of Rathven, and 4 refers to the 4th roll of microfilm they hold.
I happen to know that MF A Rh4 is the Roman Catholic registers. (Since LIBINDX indexed the local RC, episcopal and dissenting denominations' registers that they hold, the RC records have been added to Scotland's People so the original document can now be viewed there.)

The newspapers reference tells me that the date and place of death are from a notice in the Elgin Courant and Courier.

Information from statutory registers will only be included in LIBINDX if someone researching a family submits the information to LIBINDX. In those cases the usual caveat applies - don't take it as read; make sure to check the original records. (One difference between LIBINDX and certain large and much-used online 'sources' is that incorrect information in LIBINDX will be corrected if drawn to their attention.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 October 14 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

From the information you have given regarding Elizabeth Hepburn and children Williamina and Margaret Finnie, census evidence would suggest that Elizabeth(assuming I have the correct family) was born in Fordyce. Have a look at Freereg where there is a baptism of Elizabeth with parents John Hepburn and Elizabeth Gordon birth 27 Sept 1842, baptism oct 1842. Abode is York. Wit John Strachan and William Gordon in York.

The 1851 census for Elizabeth Hepburn b 1842 Fordyce has parents John b 1805 Ordiquill and Elizabeth b 1811 Marnoch with a number of siblings, two of whom George 13 and John 11 also have baptisms showing on Freereg.

There is a baptism in Marnoch 4 Feb 1810 for Elizabeth Gordon father John Gordon, abode  Brae of Ardmeallie. Also a possible marriage between John Hepburn and Elizabeth Gordon in Ordiquihill 18 June 1831.

Hope this helps. I think it shows that you perhaps need to review the information you have to make sure you have the correct John Hepburn and Elizabeth Gordon.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline lakeview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 October 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
A review of my Scotlands People searches revealed a death certificate dated July 18, 1882 for one Elizabeth Hannigan or Harrigan (Illegitimate) married to James Hannigan , and daughter of John Gordon, Chelsea pensioner (deceased, reputedly) and Mary McConachie afterwards Howie.  Elizabeth died at the Doctor's Surgery in Dufftown, Parish of Mortlach, Banff. 

Therefore, I am assuming that Elizabeth Gordon was illegitimate, but she later married John Hepburn and on his death married James Hannigan.  James was born in Limerick, Ireland in 1810 and was a gardener, according to the 1881 census.  She is listed as being 52.  They are also listed in the 1871 census, although she gives her age as 50, which is correct.  I wish I could age only 2 years in 10!!  There is no sign of them as a couple in the 1861 census or of Elizabeth as a widow.  I also have been unable to find a marriage for the Hannigans. 

I found an entry on Family Search for Mary McConnachie marrying a Alexander Huie on 12June1825 at Mortlach, Scotland, and the subsequent birth of a daughter, Isabel on 11Mar1828, also at Mortlach.   
Buchan, Finnie, Hazel, Brebner, Burgin or Bergen, Thurlby, Doherty, Murray, Livingstone, Jennings, Peeling, Hayes

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 October 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lakeview

Slightly confused now (it easily happens!). One or two questions : what evidence do you have that the Elizabeth Gordon who married James Harrigan was previously married to John Hepburn? Secondly can you give details of your great grandparent to try to make sure you have the correct Elizabeth Gordon? Was this the Elizabeth Hepburn, who married James Finnie, I referred to in my previous post? There are one or two interesting public trees on A*, with attached records, for this family which might be useful for you to look at. One shows a death for Elizabeth Gordon (Hepburn) in 1900. They also have the death of Elizabeth Hepburn (Finnie) in 1931 at age 88.

William

Offline lakeview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 October 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
You may be right, Millmoor.  I based my information on a source in rootsweb, which seems to have been wrong on more than one occasion.  I think I need to set this all down and take a good hard look at it.  I have pretty well ruled out the McConnachie connection and thus the Harrigan one too.

Will write again once I have a new working hypothesis.  Thanks to all of you for your help thus far.

Jean
Buchan, Finnie, Hazel, Brebner, Burgin or Bergen, Thurlby, Doherty, Murray, Livingstone, Jennings, Peeling, Hayes

Offline lakeview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 October 14 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Millmoor:  Looks like the Fordyce Elizabeth born September 27 is the correct one.  This is extraordinary because we share the same birthday, albeit more than 100 years apart.  Thanks for getting me on the right track.  I am currently awaiting more information about her time spent in the asylum.  It can't have been fun or easy. 

Jean