Author Topic: GATT  (Read 26167 times)

Offline torryawa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GATT
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 August 09 08:02 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann McMillan was Elizabeth Wiseman Gatt's stepmother, Elizabeth died 1961 Geelong ,Vict. Australia.
 Wiliam Gatt b 1879 Gamrie, his father James Gatt b 1852 Pennan was brother of my gr gr grandfather George Wilson Gatt b 1854 Pennan.

what was William Buchan Gatt's (dob) was he a fisherman.

torryawa

Offline thurston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 August 09 10:29 BST (UK) »
my granddad was born on 11/06/1920 in peterhead, his mother was Helen Buchan.  Yes he was a fisherman but also was in the Navy working on a mine sweeper called the Fetlar.  He was brought up in Lerwick but after the war he married a girl from West Lothian and eventually moved to campletown for a few years to be near his mother Mary Ann Gatt (nee McMillian).  She must have moved back after her husband died.  He then moved with his family to Corby in Northamptonshire, England to work in the steelworks.  He died on the 13/08/1984.  He always classed William and Mary Ann as his mother and father and did not want to know anything about his real mother even though she tried to contact him on many occasions.  I have found out alot about his real mother and the circumstances of his adoption.  It was not a legal requirement then to adopt through the courts so maybe the parents all knew each other.  I know Helen Buchan did live on Shetland for a while.

Offline thurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 August 09 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for giving me information on the website for the shetland isles it has proven very usefull.  On looking at William and Elizabeth Gatt's family I have found that one of the living relatives mentioned is actually Mary Helen West Gatt born 1908 lerwick.  My uncle said that my granddads sister was called Mary Ellen.  I wonder if they are the same person or if Mary Ellen is a daughter to one of Williams and Elizabeth wiseman gatts children.  My uncle is sure Mary Ellen was younger than my granddad, if this were the case she is not the daughter of william and Elizabeth.  Mary Ellen had a son out of wedlock in lerwick called hector gatt and he was not born until 1941.  If Mary Ellen were Mary Helen then she would have been about 33 when she had him so maybe a bit old to have him out of wedlock but you never know!  I will have to keep researching!! 

Offline torryawa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
it is easy to get confused when the names are so similar Mary Ellen is the daughter of Elizabeth Wiseman Gatt & David Smith , the gr dau of William Gatt b 1879.  she is possibly still living  in or near Edinburgh so I hear.       
 Mary Helen arrived in Australia 1926 as a baby with her Parents John Alexander Gatt &
Catherine Bruce , she is still with us but not interested in the past.

I found William Taylor Buchan & his mother Helen Buchan .

torryawa

Offline thurston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know it can be a bit confusing with names but I have looked at the birth cert on scotspeople and Mary Helen West Gatt born 12/03/1908 Parkfield Road, Lerwick is the daughter of William Gatt and Margaret Gatt nee Wiseman.  The Mary Ellen who was the supposed sister of my granddad moved to North or South Sheilds and had family there.  She had Hector Gatt and a daughter called Marian out of wedlock.  I will have to ask my uncle how old she was compared to my granddad.  You have found the correct birth for my granddad as his first name was William Taylor Buchan, however on is birth certificate it is changed to William Buchan Gatt.

Offline torryawa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 August 09 01:37 BST (UK) »
when you see Hector ask him if he knew Fred Smith brother of Mary Ellen

torryawa

Offline TREVALLYN

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 January 10 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Torryawa.  Elizabeth Wiseman Gatt / Smith was my grandmother.  Most of the facts stated are correct but a few are incorrect.  If you are interested in further discussion with me please get back to me.  I am Wilma Ross and I live in Lerwick, Shetland.  My father Bill Smith is Elizabeth's oldest son and he lives in Burra Isle.  All the other members of dad's family live in Australia where my Granny & Grandfather David Smith emigrated in the early 50s.  We must be related in some way so look forward to hearing from you and sussing that out.  kind regards.  Wilma Ross

Offline torryawa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wilma, pleased to hear from you.I do know your uncle Fred in Adelaide, I am always ready to discuss any mistakes.
              Cheers Bob

Offline jacko76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 14:12 GMT (UK) »
My name is Christine. I am the granddaughter of Mary Helen West Gatt. Her mother was Margaret Wiseman and her father William Gatt.She had 3 children. 2 out of wedlock. (*) was born in 1930, (*) was born 1941 and my father (*) was born in 1949. My grandmother married Harry Jackson in 1946. She was 41 when she gave birth to my dad. She and Harry were living in Great Yarmouth at the time and I believe they had only known each other for 6 weeks before they married. Thay settled in North Shields in tyne and wear. I have a mystery regarding my grandmother as we recently found an old i.d card belonging to her but it is under the name of Mary Wieber. She died in 1991. My father passed away aged 58 in 2007. My  grandmother also had a sister called Rosie and brothers called Alexander and (John)? Any help with family history would be gratefulluy accepted as I know very little about my dads side of the family.

(*) Moderator's Note: details of possible living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy