Author Topic: Samuel Hanchent (Ancient) Hornett  (Read 4155 times)

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Hanchent (Ancient) Hornett
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 May 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello J.J.

Thanks for the help.   I have Carl's death also, and I know of his second wife.

It is the second marriage for Annie - Carl's first wife I am trying to find - we think when she left she went to Seattle and maybe died in Spokane, but we do not know her new married name, so still hunting.

Michele

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 May 11 07:43 BST (UK) »
Divorce action listings would not likely have anything of value to your search anyway. other than newspaper entries, though, it would be hard to get information from Alberta, as BMD are not made readily available as in most other Provinces.

I'm making a trip to Calgary in the next few weeks so will take a look at the Calgary Herald records to see what's there. I'm not familiar with Divorce Action listings, JJ. Are they the publication of a list of divorces pending - sort of a public notice to let people know one spouse is no longer financially linked to the other?
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 May 11 16:40 BST (UK) »
i guess it just served as a public divorce petition when the spouse couldn't be located to serve papers. Not as easily done as today....You can see the odd one when scouring old newspapers...but I guess these days it is not done anymore as I have never seen one in recent papers. J.J.

From online entries....sounds as though first you file for divorce, then try to contact spouse in the usual residences, then you can post notice once you prove you've tried all means of finding the spouse.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100913134048AAsxkFv
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 May 11 22:00 BST (UK) »
but I guess these days it is not done anymore as I have never seen one in recent papers. J.J.

It's still done and not just for divorce cases but any civil lawsuit. In Manitoba, if a person filing an action can't locate the other party to serve them then a Notice of Substitute Service is filed. A notice is published in a local paper for 3 days if I recall correctly. The rules may be slightly different in other provinces but the process is basically the same. Newspapers have a section in the classifieds where the notices are published (I used to work in a law firm ;) )
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 May 11 22:07 BST (UK) »
ah, then I imagine that you'd know, jacquie...as you likely did the majority of the work!   ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 May 11 22:11 BST (UK) »
but I guess these days it is not done anymore as I have never seen one in recent papers. J.J.

It's still done and not just for divorce cases but any civil lawsuit. In Manitoba, if a person filing an action can't locate the other party to serve them then a Notice of Substitute Service is filed. A notice is published in a local paper for 3 days if I recall correctly. The rules may be slightly different in other provinces but the process is basically the same. Newspapers have a section in the classifieds where the notices are published (I used to work in a law firm ;) )

Just curious. When it pertains to a divorce as old as the one being investigated here, is there any way to access the legal filing papers?

Also, could a person assume that if the newspaper posting was in Calgary, the filing for divorce also occurred in Calgary?
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 May 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
Just curious. When it pertains to a divorce as old as the one being investigated here, is there any way to access the legal filing papers?

Also, could a person assume that if the newspaper posting was in Calgary, the filing for divorce also occurred in Calgary?

Yikes that I don't know but here's a link to the divorce page at Library and Archives Canada:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-906.008-e.html
It appears that a lot of Provincial Archives are the home of divorce records for their respective provinces including Alberta.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/
 - if you can find exact dates to look at there are newspapers (scanned pages not name indexed) for Alberta here, and some local history books.

e.g. http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/loc_hist/page.aspx?id=499287 mentions what might be some of this family, but only in passing.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
Annie still calls herself widow of Samuel in 1921 directory/ 1317 11th Ave Calgary
She must be out working as she is listed in the latter section
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/2961.16/174.html?qid=peelbib|Hornett|%28peelnum%3A002961.16%29|score
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/2961.16/448.html?qid=peelbib|Hornett