Author Topic: Family of Samuel Baird d 1. April, 1875 Sallowhilly, Derry  (Read 7890 times)

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Samuel Baird d 1. April, 1875 Sallowhilly, Derry
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 14:57 GMT (UK) »
 This may be of no real help in your search,but I'll tell you anyway.
When we married in 1950 we bought a farm at Cool, Claudy. Our next door neighbour was John Baird.(b approx 1928) He had a brother Samuel (a couple of years older) who was married to ??? Hood.He had a sister Lena,(who lived at home) and an older sister who lived in England.
John,s father was John Baird,who was married twice. I don't know the first wife's name. She died and he married ??? Brolly (RC)They had one son Graham,who lived with John and Lena. In 1950 John (senior) was dead.
John (junior) married a Girl called Beatrice Logan c 1960.Sad to tell he was killed by one of the stags on his farm.
The Bairds were Presbyterians.
Given the repitition of names John and Samuel,i think they may be connected to you.

Offline Jeye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I cannot confirm that Samuel Bairds wife was Rosborough but certainly a Samuel Baird of Sallowilly was present at the death of a Jane Baird, farmer's wife, married, age 59 years, on 1st August 1867 at Sallowilly, Cumber. Cause of death was 'Dropsy 12 weeks certified'.

Offline Frisbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 October 16 21:22 BST (UK) »
Now have all the family information (i.e. marriage and death notices) for the children of Samuel Baird and Jane Baird (suspect nee Rosborough) except for son Thomas Baird and daughter Jane Baird. If you require it please contact me.

Offline wth40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 October 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi.....I live about 2 miles from Sallowilly and was not aware of the Baird of Sallowilly.  However, in the Will mentioned in one of the pages, there is reference to 'flax in Cool'.  The Baird family did reside in Cool, which is about four miles from Sallowilly, until a number of years ago, when John Baird was unfortunately killed by a Deer, one of a number he was breeding.  His widow, who is still alive, then sold the farm and moved away.  They had two of a family, a boy and a girl.  Other siblings of John Baird have also passed away in recent years, but have family surviving. 

However, there is a new website, courtesy of the Government of the Republic of Ireland, that went live online on the 8th September past and it may be of help to you, as it has records up the mid 20th century.  The url is:  https://www.irishgenealogy.ie

Regards

William Houston, Claudy, Londonderry.