Author Topic: Alexander Brown, Ironmoulder  (Read 24329 times)

Offline Carole Hampton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Brown, Ironmoulder
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 22:19 BST (UK) »
I cannot throw any light on the Wylie/Brown conection I always presumed that my Grans mother was a Brown but that sounds much too simple. I well remember Gran Jack and Sandy all of whom died during my early teens....my father was my main source of info.  He was demobbed in1919 and a few days later was seriously injured in an accident at work.Middle 1920 he spent a period of recovery with the Browns so he was well  known to them.  Alas he was caught up in a major disturbance and left as soon as it was safe to do so.  Forward to 1939, one Aunt Agnes was over to visit, as a small boy I still recall going to say farewell at the landing stage she was on one of the final sailings pre ww2.  So far as I am aware there was little if any further contact. I will be interested in anything further you discover.

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 23:37 BST (UK) »
There was an Agnes Brown in the Brown family L'derry, who died in 1946. My great granny, Margaret Brown/Oliver was her sister.
When did your gt grandmother, Mary Wylie die?
And did you know anything about Amy's father, Robert Hamilton Brown?

I look forward to hearing more.

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 October 13 18:22 BST (UK) »
And also (sorry to bombard you), do you happen to know where your great grandparents, John and Mary Wylie were married? (Scotland or Liverpool?) I think they were married in about 1863.

Thank you!

Offline Carole Hampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 October 13 19:23 BST (UK) »
Will see if I can find out where John W and wife were married. Their eldest son John (Jack) was 10 on 1851 census so your guess as to date of mariage isn't far off.  Up to the present that is the limit of my investigations except that I felt certain the Brown/ LDY connection might lead to something and it did in spades! They lived in Kirkstall Street which is Kirkdale just north of  Liverpool city centre.    Mary Hampton died in Aug 1946 in Waterloo Liverpool. Or Lancs as it then was. Her brother Jack and my mother (we lived nearby) helped care for her.  Jack had come to live with her after g/dad (another Alex H) died in 1942.  Alas I had never heard of anyone Hamilton Browne prior to contact with you.

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 October 13 19:37 BST (UK) »
From the 1911 census in Walton on Hill it states that Mary and John Wylie were married 48 years, so married in about 1863. It also states that they had 7 children, but that 4 were alive.
Where is Mary Wylie buried?

Offline Carole Hampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 14 October 13 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi  I notice I had Jack W dob wrong should have been abt 1870.  Re Mary H she is buried in Kirkdale Cemetry  (5 9 46) otherwise known as Longmoor Lane. It is close to Aintree racecourse. I have the papers for grave.  I didnot search Scot marriages for John and Mary senior I note that they wed in Ayrshire, I seem to be well linked to that corner of Scotland I hae just spent a week in Galloway researching mr GF H's roots. All traced to Port William.  And I havereason to believe my mothers family could have come from there.

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 11:46 BST (UK) »
I think John Wylie snr died in June 1917, aged 79? I can't find any record of his wife, Mary Wylie snr though. Who died first?
I am wondering if her full first name was different to Mary.

The Browns in L'derry had a sister Eliza Brown born in c1843 in Newton upon Ayr, Ayrshire from a previous marriage, who I can't trace, and I was wondering if this was Mary???

Rather clutching at straws. It would be great to have her full name and maiden name, which would be on the 1863 marriage cert (which again I can't find).

Offline Kipper5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 October 13 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alex,
Do you know the plot reference for Mary Hampton's grave at Kirkdale Cemetery?
I'm hoping to go to Liverpool library to find out who else is buried in that grave and to see if her mother, Mary Wylie is also there.
Thank you.

Offline Carole Hampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 October 13 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Grave in Kirkdale is No 374  section 9.  However the official record shows only three burials.
In 1940 James Hampton  g/dads brother.  1943 Alex H  g/dad and in 46 Mary H. I know personally that it has not been used since.  This grave was in my Dads name he being the active person at that time,1940.  Both he and my mother are elsewhere.   I have no knowledge of the Wylie graves even Jack and Sandy.  To my knowledge we never had any papers to do with Wylie.  Jack I think died first and Sandy died before his 2nd wife Nellie she came from near Preston where her sisters lived years ago.  A