Author Topic: Catherine Laughlin baptized 1814  (Read 2702 times)

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
Catherine Laughlin baptized 1814
« on: Wednesday 17 September 14 02:53 BST (UK) »
Can someone please enlarge on this information - parents William & Jane Laughlin

baptized in Ballykelly - (William may have been born Drumachose, but nothing definite)

I do have a William Laughlin b abt 1800  to Jane Stewart b abt 1800 but nothing to prove it

Bear in mind the spealling of Laughlin - I have seen it spelt all manner of ways Laughlan, Laughland, Lachlan.

Judy
Glos:  Burgess, Evans
Renf:  Laughlan, Grieve (Lanchline/Laughland/Lachlan) (Greive/Grive)
Drumachose, Derry: Laughlan, Stewart
S/Set:Westlake, Puddy, Dunstone
Worc: Cook, Heaven
Hants: Cook, Puddy
Cty Clare, Limerick: Gleeson, Tierney
Canada:  Goring
UK: Gorringe, Lloyd (Loy)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Laughlin baptized 1814
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 09:07 BST (UK) »
If your Catherine was baptised in 1814 then William & Jane born c1800 seem a bit young to be her parents.

How have you gotten back to Catherine? do any other records give her parents as William & Jane? do the records suggest sge was born c1814? where did  you find that "William may have been born Drumachose"?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
I didnt mean you to think that the William & Jane were her parents, not at all.

My own great grandffather, William Laughlin was born in Drumachose on 15th April 1827 (to Jane Grieve)
HIS father was William Laughlin born Ireland about 1800 to Jane Stewart.

I don't know where in Ireland he was born as I dont have much information on him other than who he married, but as you will see, I DO have HIS son being born in Drumachose which I believe is only a few minutes from Ballykelly.     We  only found out Catherine was born in Ballykelly today and it just showed her parents as William & Jane presumably my ggggrandfather.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
I'm even more confused now  :-\

If "My own great grandffather, William Laughlin was born in Drumachose on 15th April 1827 (to Jane Grieve)" then how could "HIS father was William Laughlin born Ireland about 1800 to Jane Stewart." be? Do you mean that William Laughlin was the illegitimate son of Jane Grieve and a William Laughlin married to a Jane Stewart? Or that Jane Grieve and Jane Stewart are possibly the same person?

"I don't know where in Ireland he was born as I dont have much information on him other than who he married, but as you will see, I DO have HIS son being born in Drumachose which I believe is only a few minutes from Ballykelly."     
Ballykelly isn't that far from Drumachose/Limavady but both Laughlin & Stewart are fairly common surnames in the area.

"We  only found out Catherine was born in Ballykelly today and it just showed her parents as William & Jane presumably my ggggrandfather."
So, are you saying that you think that Catherine (1814) is a sister of your William (c1900)?

Which Drumachose church & which Ballykelly church did you find these records in?

If the Drumachose baptismal record is your family I would be inclined to search those records to see if you can find any connections before or after that baptism of you haven't done so already.

Added- see we've discussed this family before-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=424511.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
I know we have discussed this family before, but as I said - we only found out about Catherine today - even tho you mentioned her in a previous message.

My father is William Lochlin
My grandfather is William John Lochlin
My great grandfather is William Laughlin who married when he was 28,  to Jane Grieve aged 23 (on October 16th 1855) at St Patricks in Partick, Scotland.   His marriage cert states that he was born April 15th 1827 at County Derry, Ireland.  The marriage cert also shows his parents to be William Laughlin and Jane Stewart, and that his father was a gardener and journeyman.  The 1861 census shows:-
Note at the Census it was Laughland. 
Census of Scotland 1861 shows that
William Laughland lived at 8 Moncrieff St, Paisley aged 33 (Miners Labourer), born in Ireland,
Jane, aged 26 born Renfrewshire, Paisley,
Samuel, Son aged 10, (Scholar), born Lanarkshire, Glasgow,  don't worry about Samuel, he was from a previous marriage  (He, William, was shown on 1851 census with his first wife, mother of Samuel)
William John, Son aged 2, born Ayrshire, Auchinleck and 
George Laughland, Son aged 6 months) born Renfrewshire, Paisley.

Letter from Fiona Richardson, Heritage Services Assistant, Heritage & Information Library, Renf Libraries says
I have revisited your enquiry and while checking again for an entry for William’s wife Jane (Grieve) found an entry relating to William.  William’s residence is given as 2 Cotton Street, Paisley.  It gives his place of birth as Ireland and states that he was Protestant.  William’s wife Jane Grieve was 32 years old. His children are named as William John, (my grandfather) aged 10 and Jane aged 5.  William’s occupation is given as labourer and it also states that William was wholly disabled and wholly supported in Poorhouse, wholly supported meaning there was no contribution from his family.

His death 1868 Lachlan William   M   41 ABBEY BURGH   /RENFREW 559/01 0364

Getting back to William Laughlin and Jane Grieve, HIS father was also William Laughlin and his mother Jane Stewart (as I said) I have no other information about them, other than guessing them both to be born around 1800.

Now today I saw Catherine, born to William Laughlin & Jane of Ballykelly on 24 Jan 1814.  I was thinking that there must be yet another William Laughlin & Jane (?) who may have had Catherine.