Author Topic: Scots leaving for South Africa  (Read 7137 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scots leaving for south Africa
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 September 14 06:58 BST (UK) »
Dear MonicaL,  Just to clarify.....what is the meaning of 'attested, at attestation"?  Is it only to do with joining the army?  And if so, do you know what that means in the day by day execution of a soldiers duty in that era? 
I am just starting to try and piece together all the information.  As yet I haven't had an opportunity to try and get a birth certificate for James McKay.  It's all fascinating.  Thank you

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Scots leaving for South Africa
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Best to ask that question on the armed forces board here on RC if important.
Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 September 14 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks MonicaL,  The link you suggested is very helpful. Much appreciated.

Offline vangasser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 June 20 23:55 BST (UK) »
 To: iwccc, ShaunJ - From vangasser
Your support is wonderful. Thank you for our connection of John Bishop, his son James McKay Bishop, who is my great-grandfather.
I will check the Scotland (Counties as in 1851-1901) Re Scots leaving for South Africa.
You and those who have inclination to chip in other information, would be so gratefully appreciated. Ed

Offline vangasser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 00:27 BST (UK) »
Dear Monica, You are also so appreciated. Ed.

Offline vangasser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 June 20 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ and Monica, So sorry I have not been able to get back too often. As a clinical social worker, I have my hands full with the COVID-19 difficulties. However, I am so very grateful for your continued support with John Bishop whereabouts as, well as exact origin (Familial and place(s).
One for sure is that I have experienced very little from the South African departments that care for the civil adn/or church records. They will take your money, but hardly ever send to information paid for...a pity though.

Offline vangasser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 June 20 19:35 BST (UK) »
Do we possibly know if our Scottish John Bishop had any siblings traceable to their parentage? I was wondering if we could possibly for sure decide on who John Bishop's father was; if also John Bishop, we should then possibly work on finding his death notice, thereby hoping to have a list of his children. Sometimes we may find his parents' names as well (on the death notice).  I have found that often the Death Notice contains the names of the deceased, his parents, spouse, (which often includes previous marriages) and children with each spouse.

Offline WeeJM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 October 20 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi vangasser - Seems my wife is your 3rd cousin : George Bishop, James's brother, is her great-grandfather.   I have likewise been very thankful for help from MonicaL & iwccc!   

I'm still busy establishing John Bishop's timeline (thank goodness for his military records - on ancestry) and his immediate family.  There was another son born on St Helena, William, b 1839 & d 1840 and a daughter Elizabeth Anna born at Fort Beaufort, bap 1844. 

Catherine (Shanon per George's baptism record .... in Dingwall, Scotland of all places!) was mother of George, William and James but Elizabeth baptism record says mother Christiana.   Then his last wife (per 1861 England Census) was Ann??   Looking for Catherine Shanon I saw practically all the Shanon's came from Ireland in those days and then this afternoon discovered John's 91st Regiment was based in Ireland from July 1835 to at least December 1835.  Will investigate further.

I agree with you the era of the deceased person's parents and children being listed on South African Death Notices (mainly for Probate reasons!) was extremely useful in establishing links between parents and children!   Getting to see John's DN in Dorset would be very difficult but even if one could the DNs in the UK don't seem to have all that parent & children linkage info.

Enough for now,
WeeJM

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 23 October 20 20:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, WeeJM  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk