Author Topic: Samuel HENDRIE bc 1838 & Mary CAMPBELL bc1829  (Read 9462 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HENDRIE bc 1838 & Mary CAMPBELL bc1829
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to view the "enhanced" view of the marriage which tells me very little more except that they were both of 'full' age and they married in the Coleraine Registrars Office.  :-\

Forfarian, do you know if the "full index view" contains further information?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie just a thought... Looking like Samuel and Mary were probably both Irish born... Hope the marriage entry in 1848 is correct, only thing is you were looking for a Samuel born c. 1838 originally?

If Samuel and Mary did go back and forth until they settled in Scotland, wondering whether the 1867 birth for William https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQPY-MRD would let you confirm date and place of parents' marriage?

Monica

Added: Ahh, makes more sense, see AMV included:

...a Samuel Henry, blacksmith, b abt 1822-3 Ireland in Coatbridge/Old Monkland from 1871 with a wife Elizabeth and children include a son John bc1854 Ireland.

Birth year would make more sense, especially for a potential 1848 marriage.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

I don't have any experience of using Irish resources  but Chris Paton's blog "British Genes" is very good at flagging up Irish records and how to use them.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

I don't have any experience of using Irish resources  but Chris Paton's blog "British Genes" is very good at flagging up Irish records and how to use them.

William

Thanks William - a google search for how to find records on Groni led me to one of those last night. I will look again if there are more blogs on the subject.

The website told me nothing, but the blog helped a lot.

I am still a bit in the dark though, as I can't see any specific instructions. I still don't have any idea how many credits it will cost me to view an image - unless it is 40p for everything which is why they didn't even bother explaining further.  :-\

Oh well, I shall stumble along and no doubt work it out eventually.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica, our paths haven't crossed for a while. Good to see you again.  :)

Sadly yes, I think Samuel and Mary were Irish. I have been reading a little about Irish emigration to Scotland and there was a lot of tooing and froing, so all hope is not lost that Mary might be Scottish further back.  :-\

When I saw the surname Campbell I felt sure she must have been Scottish. When I could not find either of the Samuels or John's birth place on SP, and noticed several Hendrie/ys were Irish, I suspected this family may have been Irish.

There is a little hope with Forfarian's find on Groni though. I already know Samuel and Mary's parents from their Scottish d/cs so if their father's names are given on their marriage that will be confirmation. With Groni records quite limited date wise though, I think it won't be long before I hit a dead end again in Ireland. And I am not confident with attempting to delve into Irish catholic parish records.

I will look at the birth of William 1867. I hadn't thought to look at this one so thanks for pointing it out!  :)

[PS Monica I have several other questions/problems/brick walls with other branches of this family I am tracing, all except one of which are leading to Ireland - I will post separately about themin a day or so, as they are not related to this search, but would appreciate your insight if you are able to help .... ;D)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Are you able to offer any hints or tips please Forfarian?
How were you able to search (presumably without using any credits?) and get the results you did?
You have to have at least 1 credit in your account, but if you do you can search the indexes and view the index results for free. I think (IIRC) that it costs 5 credits to view a certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, do you know if the "full index view" contains further information?

You get a digital image of the original certificate, which includes the names of the couple's fathers.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian - much appreciated.  :)

At Monica's suggestion I have purchased the 1867 New Monkland b/c of William 'Henry'. This has indeed given the date and place of marriage of Samuel 'Henry' and Mary Campbell as 1850 D---(indecipherable place name) County Antrim, Ireland. As is often the case the image is not very clear, but the marriage year is definitely 185- not 1848. Not quite sure what to make of that except that maybe Samuel's memory was not the best - or the 1845 marriage is not the correct couple?  :-\ I will still purchase the marriage from Groni though.

I am going to do a bit of detective work to try to see if I can come up with a likely place of marriage beginning with D.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 06 November 14 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I am attempting to attach a snip of the certificate: It's a miracle! It has worked!  :o