Author Topic: Samuel HENDRIE bc 1838 & Mary CAMPBELL bc1829  (Read 10391 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HENDRIE bc 1838
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 14:11 GMT (UK) »
The plot thickens ...

1881 census, in Airdrie. Samuel Hendrie, blacksmith lab, 53, born Ireland. (so DoB 1827/8). Wife Elizabeth, 42, born Ireland. Three sons: John McLaveny, 16; James McLaveney, 13; Samuel McLaveney, 10, all born Coatbridge.

These look like the family of John McSeveney and Elizabeth Wilson: Alexander b 1863; John b 1864; James b 1867, plus Samuel Hendrie, born 15 February 1871 to Samuel Hendrie and Elizabeth Wilson.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 14:20 GMT (UK) »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I just typed up a reply and accidentally lost it!  :'(

And on top of discovering that these wretched Hendries come from IRELAND!!!  :'( I am actually feeling quite upset about that because it means the end of this research, and the third Irish line in this family I am tracing. With not even a clue as to whereabouts in Ireland they are from, I have no hope of finding them. Very sad.

Anyway what I said before I lost my previous reply was thank you to ev, avm and looby, and now also to William. I suspect you have all got the right family. Sad though I am that they are from Ireland, I am happy that they are found.  :-\

I have a faint glimmer of hope with my Mary Campbell - surely that family has to keep me in Scotland. I will start a new thread about her later.  ::)

Thank you all - I am very grateful.  :'(

Was just about to post and got the red warning .... thank you Forfarian. (more Irish  :()

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Samuel Hendrie and Mary Campbell
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a faint glimmer of hope with my Mary Campbell - surely that family has to keep me in Scotland. I will start a new thread about her later.  ::)

If I may be so bold, there are two reasons for not starting a new thread.

First, if you start a new thread, then people who have not read this thread may not realise that all this information has already been found, and they may duplicate what has already been done.

Second, if you start a new thread, then those who have contributed to it will not be notified of your futher enquiries about this family.

I venture to suggest that you should just carry on this thead, but I've altered the title to 'Samuel Hendrie and Mary Campbell'.

Have you got Mary's death certificate?

1861 census index has in
District 639 (Dalziel), ED3, page 4 Samuel Henry, 24, born Ireland; Mary Henry, 26, born Ireland: John Henry, 2, born Ireland.
District 652.2 (Old Monkland),  ED 13, page 13 Samuel Hendry, 35, born Ireland; Mary Hendry, 31, born Ireland; Elizabeth, 11, born Ireland; John, 8, born Ireland, Margaret, 6, born Old Kilpatrick; Jane, 2, born Ireland.
Neither of these matches your Samuel and Mary's family, however, who were Mary, 1857; Samuel, 1857; and William, 1867. Unless it's the second family, and their daughter Mary had died, and they'd been back in Ireland for long enough for Jane to be born there in 1858/9.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Good points Forfarian (although I would have provided a link to this thread had I started another  :)).

I shall continue here.

Yes, I have Mary's death certificate.
She died May 3rd 1869, aged 40 years.
Where died: Jamieson's Land, New Dundyvan
Father: John Campbell  ::) Land Steward, deceased
Mother: Jane Chalmers deceased
Husband Samuel Hendrie was the informant

I think we have a problem due to the common names. I have trawled through censuses in the hope of stumbling across a John Campbell, Jane and Mary but have not found a good fit and of course they may not have been alive to be included in any census.

I also checked Scotland's People for a marriage between John and Jane but got no results.

Sadly I do have to sign off now - many thanks for any help with this.  :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel HENDRIE bc 1838 & Mary CAMPBELL bc1829
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hate to be a killjoy - but is Mary not born in Ireland too? And first son John? (According to Census finds)
Looby :(

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Hendrie and Mary Campbell
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 23:02 GMT (UK) »

1861 census index has in
District 639 (Dalziel), ED3, page 4 Samuel Henry, 24, born Ireland; Mary Henry, 26, born Ireland: John Henry, 2, born Ireland.
District 652.2 (Old Monkland),  ED 13, page 13 Samuel Hendry, 35, born Ireland; Mary Hendry, 31, born Ireland; Elizabeth, 11, born Ireland; John, 8, born Ireland, Margaret, 6, born Old Kilpatrick; Jane, 2, born Ireland.
Neither of these matches your Samuel and Mary's family, however, who were Mary, 1857; Samuel, 1857; and William, 1867. Unless it's the second family, and their daughter Mary had died, and they'd been back in Ireland for long enough for Jane to be born there in 1858/9.

Avm found this family earlier - Samuel was a hammerman which fits with the occupation of my Samuel. It does seem a bit odd though ...

Yes looby, according to this census Mary is born in Ireland too.  :'( I've just got back to this so will go through the finds carefully. Campbell! Surely she must be Scottish! Saying she is Irish has to be a mistake.  :-\

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

Might be an idea to keep an open mind about the 1861 census entry. There is,for example, a census entry for Margaret Hendrie born Old Kirkpatrick 1854 in the 1871 census working as a domestic servant in Glasgow.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

Might be an idea to keep an open mind about the 1861 census entry. There is,for example, a census entry for Margaret Hendrie born Old Kirkpatrick 1854 in the 1871 census working as a domestic servant in Glasgow.

William

Shall do thank you William, but in what way do you mean to keep an open mind?
I see that the dom servt Margaret in Glasgow fits with the Margaret from the 1861 census. :)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

I was responding to your comment about it being a bit odd! My gut feeling, for what its worth, is that there is a good probability of it being the same Samuel in 1861 and 1871 but think you would probably have to find evidence of what  happened to the various children to firm things up e.g there is the question of Samuel born 1861 and another Samuel born 1871 to explain.

William

Ps There are a couple of other articles I have now found about the drowning of Samuel Hendry in 1898 - one in the Edinburgh Evening News and another in the Southern Reporter. They don't contain any extra information but I thought I would draw your attention to them.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)