Author Topic: Madeleine Eugenie Emilie Stephany was a Catholic, she was born Antwerp Belgium  (Read 21848 times)

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My grandfather's brother married a Belgium lady in Brussels in 1925. I would like to research her Belgium family. Has anyone successfully searched Belgium records and could they suggest how. I would like to be able to search on line, potential problem, I do not speak or read French or Flemish.

Hope some one can help me, the Wave Watcher

Family History, Photography, Walking and Gardening

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Belgium Family History
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 02:49 BST (UK) »
I may be able to help you. What was her full name, age and place of birth?

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 02:55 BST (UK) »
Oops, almost forgot. Religion????

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are some Belgian records on FamilySearch.org:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&countryId=1927071

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 July 14 15:50 BST (UK) »
 :
I may be able to help you. What was her full name, age and place of birth?
Hi mygirlbill, thanks for your response

The lady in question Madeleine Eugenie Emilie Stephany was a Catholic, she was born Antwerp 13th June 1898 died Chelmsford 1966. I know Madeleine life story I want to discover the life stories of Madeleine's parents and their siblings and also the life stories of Madeleine's grandparents and their siblings.
Stephany Family:-
Madeleine father: Emile (possibly Kasia Ferdinand) Stephany was probably born in Antwerp in 1860s, he married Madeleine mother: Alice Florentine Josephine de la Montagne most likely in Antwerp in 1890s.
Emile & Alice Stephany had two children Madeleine and Henri Robert Pierre Jean Baptiste Stephany.
Emile Stephany died probably in Antwerp in c1907.
After Emile's death Alice Stephany married widower Emile Leonard Henri van Oosterzee on the 29th July 1909 in the Brussels district of Ixelles. Emile van Oosterzee first wife was Alice's sister Marie Louise de la Montagne.
Emile Leonard Henri van Oosterzee died c1930s
Alice Florentine Josephine van Oosterzee formerly Stephany nee de la Montagne died c1939.
Marie Louise van Oosterzee nee de la Montagne died c1907.
de la Montagne Family:
Alice also had a brother, Emile de la Montagne born 22nd October 1873 died 1956, Emile was a renowned Belgian painter and pastellist of portraits, genre scenes and still-lifes.

This is all I know about Madeleine's parents and siblings, I know nothing of Madeleine's grandparents and their siblings.

If this was an English family, using the Census and BMD Civil registrations I could establish the key dates and facts of their lives, however, as they are Belgium I do not know where to start.

I hope you can help me.

Best Regards the Wave Watcher

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 July 14 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are some Belgian records on FamilySearch.org:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&countryId=1927071

Nanny Jan

Hi Nanny Jan
Thanks for your response, I have previously search FamilySearch,org for Belgian relatives, which proved unsuccessful.
Best regards Wave watcher

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 July 14 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Wave watcher,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Public Archives in the Netherlands and in Belgium use to have excellent content online.
If there is no English version of their websites you should use the Google translator.

http://www.felixarchief.be/Stad-FelixArchief/Publicatiekanalen/Stad/Stad-FelixArchief/Website-FelixArchief/Website-FelixArchief-Hoofdnavigatie/Content-oude-site-Archief-raadplegen/Content-oude-site-Archief-raadplegen-Zoeken-naar-personen.html

Best regards
Rudolf
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 July 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Many of the Belgian records on familysearch are not fully indexed/name searchable.
Here is the direct link for the Antwerp area civil registration:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2138481

Rather than searching click "Browse through 2,978,372 images".  You are looking for "Antwerpen" (for the city) - you may need to check in these record for both French and Dutch spellings of place names. You will also need to learn some of the basic words (these records will be in Dutch, in other areas you will get French), e.g. numbers and for example "Geboorten" = births, "Tienjarige tafels "  = 10 year indexes, but the civil records follow a fairly set format.    There is a list of key words here: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Netherlands_Language_and_Languages

There is a yearly index at the back for each year, and sure enough, Madeline Eugenie Jean Emilie Stephany is listed in "Geboorten 1898" (3664 is the number of her birth record).
This is hopefully a direct link to her birth record:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01960/

There is a "Tienjarige tafels" image set for 1891-1900 which looks to be all marriages. There is only one Stephany marriage in it which is for Madeline's parents.
year 1896 act 1083
Huwelijken 1896 image 274
With luck another direct link:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01961/
Emilius Maria Ferdinandus Stephany (latin form of his name, the "Maria" is not unusual as a baptismal name).  My Dutch is not good (the vast majority of my Belgian lot original from French-speaking areas), but it seems they were both from Antwerp and that brother Emile de la Montagne was a witness to the marriage.

As well as the Huwelijken (marriages) you should check out the Huwelijksbijlagen (marriage supplements) where available. These are records basically of all the documentation the couple supplied to get married - can include extracts of birth records, death records for previous spouses or parents (to establish freedom to marry or who has the right to give consent to marry for a minor), checks that the husband hadn't ducked out of national service, etc.  Emile and Alice's marriage supplements start here:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01962/
1) A document from a notary public confirming that Emile's widowed mother, resident in Saint Nicholas, Flandre, consented to the marriage
2)  extract death record for Alice's mother
3)   extract birth record for Alice
4)  extract death record for Emile's father
5) extract birth record for Emile
6) Documentation of Emile's military service (national service).

You should go back and find the originals of the birth/death records as well.  I hope I've given you a start, but I do encourage you to try and familiarise yourself with the record format. They are not too difficult to use and have a lot more information in them than English records!

Censuses/population registers were taken in Belgium but are seldom used for the simple reason that there are few indexes and searching a place like Antwerp by hand just isn't very feasible.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wave Watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 July 14 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Wave watcher,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Public Archives in the Netherlands and in Belgium use to have excellent content online.
If there is no English version of their websites you should use the Google translator.

http://www.felixarchief.be/Stad-FelixArchief/Publicatiekanalen/Stad/Stad-FelixArchief/Website-FelixArchief/Website-FelixArchief-Hoofdnavigatie/Content-oude-site-Archief-raadplegen/Content-oude-site-Archief-raadplegen-Zoeken-naar-personen.html

Best regards
Rudolf

Hi Rudolf
Thank you for your help, I look forward to searching the website which you have recommended.
Best Regards Wave Watcher