Author Topic: Boston photo of 2 sisters McLellan family - date please  (Read 879 times)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Boston photo of 2 sisters McLellan family - date please
« on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
There were 7 girls in this McLellan family of 11.  My gpa didn't label most of them so i has been a running battle.  I'm not sure how much to divulge to keep from skewing the input.  Let us just say that
The girls were all born between 1861 and 1883, and I know neither is the eldest.  I have some details that I will add later after some feedback has been posted, but as I said, I would hate to influence the results.

If you can;t read the line below "Katz" (Isaac Katz in Boston 1894 to 1933) it says "7 Tremont Row, Boston".  I hope the dresses and hairstyles will result in a very close dating for this photo, and will come back in a few hours with the info I am holding back.

Nick

McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Boston photo of 2 sisters - date please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
I apologize for the massive size of 1st photo - it has been a while since I have done this, and I tried preview to see if I needed to resize, but it ignored me. Would it be better if I deleted and did a new, more reasonably sized paste?

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Boston photo of 2 sisters McLellan family - date please
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 14 03:33 BST (UK) »
I'm surprised that there have been no guesses so far.  I have tried to find comparable dress styles on the web, but these were relatively poor young women and very possibly their dresses were made by them rather than purchased.

Here is what I think:  These are the two youngest of 6 possible daughters still alive circa 1900.  The younger (on left) was born 1882-83 (baptized 20 May 1883) and died Boston, Mass. 8 Feb 1900.  The other was born 23 Jul 1876 and was married 1904 in Boston.  She lived until 1957, but had no descendants, so help from that direction is not possible.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 July 14 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, Nick!

Well, the frame is early 1900s, but the clothing a little before this if they are up-to-date. The sleeve on the gal on the left looks like it could be the balloon puffball sleeve that was the last hoorah of the gigantic 1890s sleeving....I think it was Jim who said 1904 was the very latest he had seen the style. Collars are mid/late 1890s. So it could be around 1900. That's my guess.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 July 14 06:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks China (not that I am champing at the bit... oh no).  I have finally decided to do a public Ancestry tree rather than just one for my family, and have been rescanning some photos at higher resolution.  I am maybe 70% positive I am correct on who the ladies are, and I know where the others were in 1898-1900.  There was quite a bit of familial resemblance so it is tough.

I just realized I posted this photo (low res) over 6 years ago and Lones lined them up for me:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=297244.msg1805898#msg1805898
I didn't know about Rebbecca's death at the time, nor that Gracie was in Boston.

For various reasons developed since 2008  I don't think the older one is Anna as was suggested.  In fact, I now think their is a very good possibility that every individual (except maybe 1 pair) in the original "cast of characters" in link is a different individual.

Thanks again.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 July 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
Agree with China. The dress style is late 1890's as is the cardstock so a start date of 1898 & probably up to around 1902.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/