Author Topic: Reginald Sheen  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Reginald Sheen
« on: Wednesday 07 August 13 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
Reginald Charles Sheen was born 1891 in Govilon, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.  From a young age he resided with his grandparents Sylvester and Elizabeth Sheen at Greenfield Cottage.  I would like to learn the names of his parents, can anyone help?
Regards 
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rowley

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reginald Sheen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dannemois, Reginald Charles Sheen was baptised at Llanwenarth Ultra on the 25 Jan 1892, parents Job & Ellen Sheen of Blaenavon, Job was a Labourer, Rowley
Davey in Upper Machen, Bedwas, Cascade Glam
Owen Merthyr,Gelligaer area.
Thomas Brecon and Merthyr Tydfil.
Williams,Llangynwyd, Pengam Mon and Glam.
Bevan Mynyddislwyn Pengam and Gelligaer area.
Ellery and Trotman Wooton under Edge,Bristol and South Wales

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 August 13 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Rowley
Thanks for coming back so quick; I hope you don't mind me asking but how or where did you find the details.  Its not that I am ungrateful, far from it, more the case of educating myself.

Found a likely union on FreeBMD; Marriages Jun 1891   Ellen Hughes & Job Sheen, Abergavenny
In 1901 and 1911 he was with his grandparents; I wonder what happened to his parents?

Regards, Roy

Kind Regards, Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 August 13 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Rowley
I have located the grandparents Sylvester and Elizabeth via the 1871/81/91/01/11 census; children mentioned are John, Emma, Jane and Frederick but no 'Job' ??? checked FreeBMD but unable to find him yet I found a marriage with ease.
Regards, Roy

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 August 13 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy
the parish records show the details of Job and Ellen's marriage as follows:
marriage in parish church, Llanfoist on June 30th 1891.  Both Job Sheen and Ellen Hughes are aged 21 (bachelor and spinster) and Job is a labourer.
Job's father is named as Sylvester Sheen (labourer) and Ellen's father as John Hughes (labourer).

Job, his wife, and other children (Beatrice, David and Gladys) are living in Brynmawr in 1901

I hope this helps

Margaret
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 August 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Margaret, each piece of the jig-saw helps to build the picture.  The son R Sheen is my main interest; he is named on the Brithdir War Memorial.  I set out to learn of his time in the army but unfortunately I have not found his army service papers.  The scroll sent to the next of kin states he enlisted in Brithdir but I don't know when he came to live there; other than it was post 1911 as he was still living in Govilon at that time. 
Regards, Roy

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 August 13 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy, FindMyPast says he enlisted in Brithdir, but that his residence was Brynmawr. Killed in action in Gallipoli on 20 August 1915. Army number 2786 - Welsh Regiment.

I suspect he may be living back with his parents (Job and Ellen) and other brothers and sisters at 21 Davies Street Brynmawr

Margaret
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 August 13 07:02 BST (UK) »
Morning Margaret
With his place of residence being Brynmawr I can't understand why he is commemorated on the Brithdir War Memorial ???
Regards, Roy 

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 August 13 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,
have a look at the link below as it seems he is also remembered on the Govilon memorial
http://history.govilon.com/memorial/thoseremembered.asp# 

Margaret  :)
Surname Interests