Author Topic: Mariner drowned near Parkgate in 1850  (Read 1842 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mariner drowned near Parkgate in 1850
« on: Saturday 19 April 14 10:11 BST (UK) »
Recently, I found this notice from the Glasgow Herald, Friday 18th October 1850:-
 Chester, Oct. 10. - The sloop Lady Penrhyn, of Bangor, sailed from this port on 5th for Bangor, and on the 7th a stern plank was picked up on Pargate (presumably Parkgate) Beach, with "LAD--YN," in a half circle, which quite agrees with the name and size of that vessel; crew supposed to be lost, consisting of Mr Nanney and son, and a boy.

The death of John Nanney, the captain, was recorded as 3rd November in Liscard and registered on 28th December. The informant was Henry Churton, the coroner, Chester, and the cause of death was 'Accidently Drowned'.

The date of death was nearly a month after the ship sailed, so possibly when the body was found.

I have been unable to find a report on the inquest in the newspaper archives and would be grateful to know if one might exist. There is no record for death of his son, also John Nanney, so he may never have been found. Also, it would be interesting to know the name of the boy.

Regards,

David

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mariner drowned near Parkgate in 1850
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 April 14 23:04 BST (UK) »
I wonder why his death was recorded at Liscard? I suppose his body could have been washed up on the Mersey side of the peninsula?  If he was, there is a good chance he would be buried at Wallasey church.  This grave yard contains quite a number of unknowns washed up on the beach from shipwrecks so it is possible his son is also buried there.  Pure conjecture on my part though!
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mariner drowned near Parkgate in 1850
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

I forgot to mention that he was actually buried in Wallasey but there is no record for his son. The burial was on 5th November and indicates that he was found drowned.

I have had another look at the pages and, as you mention, there are several unknown men who were found drowned. I imagine that the captain had some sort of identification but perhaps the others had none. I suspect that his son may have been one of the unknowns.

Regards,

David