Author Topic: BMD - Pre-1850 General Question  (Read 1058 times)

Offline nkn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish Ancestors: Ireland to Yonkers, NY
    • View Profile
BMD - Pre-1850 General Question
« on: Saturday 01 November 14 20:49 GMT (UK) »
My husband's Irish immigrant ancestors (15) all immigrated to the NYC area from 1850-1870.  Which means they were born in Ireland sometime between 1830-1850.  And their parents would have been born 1800-1830.  All dates approximate. 

For each immigrant, we have their parents names, from the death records.  But no townland or county on 13 of them.  Which makes the Irish searching tough.

I have all their info in NY. Only two death certificates and/or obituaries, included the county of birth.  And I have not found any immigration work that indicated county of birth.

Any suggested research methods I should follow or take to try and find these Irish ancestors in Ireland who were all born 1800-1850?   Other than just listing each family group in the Ireland-General forum?

Thanks.
nkn
Neely, Dalton, Gallagher, Goravin, Walsh, Coughlin, Austin, Reid, Shanahan, Hoag, McGarrell, Hannigan, O'Brien, Donovan, and Muldowny.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BMD - Pre-1850 General Question
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 November 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
For those born in a specific county I would put put them under that county. For the others put them under the Ireland General board. Please include everything you know about them all, including exact religious denomination. Research in Ireland in the first half of the 19th century is not easy. The events you are interested in are all before the start of statutory registration and so you will be dependent on church records (where they still exist). So the denomination is very important.
Elwyn