Author Topic: John Mclay and Agnes Craig.  (Read 5549 times)

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Lynch Ferrigan & Isabella Craig
    • View Profile
John Mclay and Agnes Craig.
« on: Friday 19 February 10 19:53 GMT (UK) »
HI all.

Wonder if anybody can help me with this one.

John Mclay and Agnes Craig, m. 1871 in Hamilton. They had the following.. Archibald b 1872/3 ( have been unable to find the birth on SP). Richard, b. 1874, Jane Neil b. 1877and Catherine McFarlame, b. 1880. All born Hamilton.

I have this family on the 1881 census Hamilton, but there is no Jane Neil listed. Tried to find a death for her but unsuccesful.

Would like to find Jane Neil, possibly a death. and would appreciate it if someone can help me finding Archibalds birth. Have tried all spellings etc, but nothing comes up for me.

Mary

Offline lanarkshire lassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Mclay and Agnes Craig.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 10 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mary.

I'm interested in your family as I live fairly locally. Can I ask a few questions?

The child, .... Archibald, born around 1872/73, that you cannot find a birth for. Are you certain of dates, and place of birth? Where did you get your information from?

Jane Neil, born 1877. Where does the name Neil come from? Is it her birth name, or was it a name she acquired later, ie through marriage?

Unfortunately, I do not have any Archibald's in my line, but wish you well, in your search.

Are we looking for McLay/ Craig as surnames?

Gail
McBride/Steele/McMaster/Tweed -County Antrim
Morrison-Lanarkshire/Edinburgh/Doune/Bo'ness
Coventry- Coatbridge/old monkland/ Kilmacolm/Port Glasgow/Ireland
Wylie- County Armagh/ Old Monkland.
Pender- Old Monkland.
Stirling- Old Monkland.

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 10 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gail.

Agnes Craig is actually  a little far out on my tree.I started looking for a Jean Neil Craig, who was my fathers cousin. Her parents were William Craig and Mary,m.s. also Craig. Her parents again were William Craig and Jean Neil.

Wanted to find out if the 2 Craig families, were related and have gone back as far as the birth of a Jean Craig b. 1855 with parents William Craig,b abt. 1819 and Jean, m.s. O`Neil. b. abt. 1822

This William Craig and Jean O`Neil Craig also had children, Bethea Craig, b. 1857 and David Craig b. 1860.

Still dont know if they were related far back in the early 1800`s.

Hope you can make sense of this with all the names. It gets a bit confusing with the same names in each following generation.

My paternal grandmother was a Craig, therefor the interest.

As far as Archibald b. abt 1872 goes. his name was on the 1881 census, with his family but I have been unable to find his birth info on Scotlands people.

Cheers,

Mary

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 10 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Well here's one of them......

Your Jane Neil McLAY was not born in Hamilton!

1877 MCLAY JANE NEIL F STEVENSTON /AYR 615/00 0061

Best wishes
Jean

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 10 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean.

Thanks , my mistake. I have the cert. in front of me, says Ayr. The 2 others, Richard and Catherine, both born Hamilton.

Cheers,

Mary.

I may not have been clear on my first posting. I have the cert. of Richard and Cathrine as well. It is Archibald I havn`t been able to find.

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Hugh Wallis I found this birth that looks interesting enough to investigate -

ARCHIBALD RICHARD MCLAY WALLACE     

Born 08 FEB 1874      Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland (his age is given as 7 in 1881)

Mother:     ISABELLA WALLACE

Regards,
Nel

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 February 10 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nel.

Rather interesting. I had a look at this birth. He is reg as illigitimate son of Isabella Wallace.

Could he have been taken by John Mclay and Agnes Craig and raised with their own children? Seems strange with the name Archibald Richard Mclay. As I said I couldn`t find an Archibald Mclay b. abt 1874.

Stranger things have happened!! But who was the father??

Cheers.

Mary

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 February 10 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nel.

Well Ivè solved one mystery at least. Found Archibald Richards marriage to Agnes Bruce 1899. It stated his mother had married a David Reid. There was also an amendment to the marriage of Archibald Richard, subsituting the name of Wallace to Mclay.

I then found the 1891 census for John Mclay and Agnes Craig and there was Archibald Richard named as adopted son. At least I know that now, but who is the father?

Also Jane Neil was on the 1891 census, so have that cleared up too.

Thanks for your help.

Mary

Offline geneaglutton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 May 13 01:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Mary,

Are you still interested in this family?

AGNES CRAIG was the daughter of WILLIAM CRAIG and JEAN O'NEIL.  I have the census data on her parents as well as William's death record that I would be happy to send you.

William Craig was the son of JOHN CRAIG and MARY GARTSHORE.  I have census data for John and Mary and death and/or marriage certificates for their other children:  Jane, George, Mary and John.  I descend from George Craig.

Aloha,
Geneaglutton