Author Topic: Frederick LUKE, VC (1895-1983)  (Read 6822 times)

Offline cstew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick LUKE, VC (1895-1983)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 July 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
thats amazing my great grand father was frederick luke, my  grandfather was william, (bill)
luke, hamilton loudon / kelly , sutherland, bethia gartshore, gough, fergusson,

Offline sagaman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, very new to Rootschat.Picking up on Fred Luke VC, My wife is his niece, her mother was his youngest sister. Coming from a large family of 13 children; she was only 3 when Fred won his medal.
I met him on two occasions when he came down to the palace for a VC event.There are possibly 10 nieces and nephews that I now and meet at family occasions all living on the south coast.This year being 100 years at Romsey in Hampshire they are laying commemorative slabs to mark the event, one for Fred and one other, we all hope to be there.  Talk again soon  sagaman

Offline Jennymary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 November 14 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Frederick LUKE, VC, (1895-1983) who was awarded the VC in the first year of the Great War (1914-1918)  for an act of extreme bravery at Le Cateau, France, is buried at Linn Cemetery, Glasgow,

Not only was he one of the youngest recipients of the VC, at the time of his death (at 88) he was one of the oldest survivors!

Am wondering if, by chance, there are any living relatives of Frederick, if so, I have some information for her/him/they that I would be pleased to pass across.  
Hi, very new to Rootschat.Picking up on Fred Luke VC, My wife is his niece, her mother was his youngest sister. Coming from a large family of 13 children; she was only 3 when Fred won his medal.
I met him on two occasions when he came down to the palace for a VC event.There are possibly 10 nieces and nephews that I now and meet at family occasions all living on the south coast.This year being 100 years at Romsey in Hampshire they are laying commemorative slabs to mark the event, one for Fred and one other, we all hope to be there.  Talk again soon  sagaman

Offline Jennymary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 November 14 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Frederick LUKE, VC, (1895-1983) who was awarded the VC in the first year of the Great War (1914-1918)  for an act of extreme bravery at Le Cateau, France, is buried at Linn Cemetery, Glasgow,

Not only was he one of the youngest recipients of the VC, at the time of his death (at 88) he was one of the oldest survivors!

Am wondering if, by chance, there are any living relatives of Frederick, if so, I have some information for her/him/they that I would be pleased to pass across.   
Just joined Rootschat. Fred Luke VC was my uncle,my father John was freds brother,Great to get any information on other relatives.

Offline sagaman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 November 14 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 Jennymary
                  As I wrote before, my wife's mother was Gladys, youngest of the 13 children.When Fred won his medal 26/08/1914. Then 100 years later , we attended a commemorative slab laying ceremony at Lockerly a small village near Romsey in Hampshire were they all grew up . it was held In the village hall, a small service, army Representatives , standard bearers , bugles, local TV and many many old family photographs .Freds grandson, wife and 1 daughter were there, plus 3 sons of Hilda,( second youngest sister), and various members of our families.My wife has 2 brothers and a sister living and know of 2 sons of Reg (youngest brother). as you probably know Fred lived a life time in Glasgow, but  when he came south for various VC events he would visit as many of his family as he could, I met him twice ,and actually held the medal,which is now in Lord Ashcroft,s collection at the Imperial War Museum . I hope this info was some use, feel free to ask some more . Once many years ago we took Gladys on holiday and visited your mum and dad.
bye for now Sagaman

Offline cstew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 May 16 22:08 BST (UK) »
amazing just re investigating my family history for my 7 year old, i had forgotten all about this thread. amzing i never knew he had a memorial paving stone laid.  is great to explain to my son about his great great grandad
luke, hamilton loudon / kelly , sutherland, bethia gartshore, gough, fergusson,

Offline Brian Drummond

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 16:14 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon, I am currently researching the life stories of all 62 Gunner Victoria Cross recipients of which Fred Luke VC is one. I briefly met him in the early 80's when he visit our regiment in Paderborn in Germany. Can anyone help with this research? I have a lot of information but need to confirm some details etc. I thank you in advance for any help you are willing and able to supply. Regards Brian Drummond