Author Topic: Martin, Whittingham, Galbraith Short Family  (Read 7267 times)

Offline bantumi69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin, Whittingham, Galbraith Short Family
« on: Saturday 15 March 14 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Stuck!!! Hi, all i have is i am wayne martin in south africa my dad was born motherwell 1946 from parents Jack James Martin (b1916) and May Whittingham (b1920)
Mom was born 1953 from Leslie Short (b1911) and Loiusa Bothney Von Kerken (b1916).  Leslie was son of Robert Galbraith Short (b1869) in scotland.  There is mention of st Helena island and stuff but still confused.  Would like some help on both sides if anybody can help, i will fill in any blanks i have.  Thanks in advance.

Edited for living/possibly living persons

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martin, Whittingham, Galbraith Short Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 March 14 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wayne

This is the 2nd request for help with regards to your family, 1st request on the South Africa board is here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=662165.0

You mention births but no marriages or deaths and you don't mention when the family came to South Africa.

Have you purchased and birth, marriage or death certificates that will give you more information?

Have you found any families in the censuses?

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline bantumi69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 14 21:11 GMT (UK) »
hi apart from the information i recieved on here about robert galbraith short on here i have still been unable to obtain any other information further about either side.  Unfortunately records here in south africa are very very few so i cant trace much here.  Given that my family all orignate from scotland with the exception of my gran on my mothers side louisa bothney von kerken.  I am a bit stumped.  I will obviously need to spend some money now to get further it seems.  I was hoping there might be more foir me to go on.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 March 14 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wayne ,

Have you tried http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ for Scottish records(Paysite) ?

There are limits to what you can see online so likely certificates to get you started would probably have to be ordered.

Can't see a c1911 birth for a Leslie Short in Scotland.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline bantumi69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 March 14 05:13 GMT (UK) »
hi i will give that a bash as soon as funds are available, the exchange rate for the south african rand kills me lol.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 March 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Maybe , James Martin / Mary Whittingham marriage 1940 Dalziel , Lanark.

Mary Martin(other surname Whittingham) death 2006 , Motherwell Lanark , born c1920.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

ev

Added - the 1940 marriage certificate should give you the names of both sets of parents , however it will not be available online.

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline bantumi69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 March 14 18:40 GMT (UK) »
it does seem to tie up, ok i will need to get funds to buy the stuff and confirm, thanks for everything.

Offline bantumi69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 March 14 18:45 GMT (UK) »
ok, just confirmed with my mom, that the james and mary do seem to be accurate, mae seems to have been a kind of nick name or shortening of name and was more commonly used.  Also the dates do add up.  How much will this all cost to get more details, sorry i am still new at this?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile