Author Topic: Walsh, Michael (J?), son of Andrew  (Read 2612 times)

Offline PhillyShawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walsh, Michael (J?), son of Andrew
« on: Wednesday 15 January 14 02:17 GMT (UK) »
I will be heading to Dublin the week of April 26th to May 3rd, 2014 for school.  I then plan on extending my trip and heading to Wexford the following week (May 3 - May 10th 2014).  While I am there I am planning on researching more of my family.  Here is what (I think) I know.
My great grand father was Michael (J?) Walsh born in 1871 in Wexford Ireland. His father was named Andrew. He had several siblings one of which may have been Charles. He married Mary E Donoughe of Boston Mass (I am not sure if the marriage was in Ireland or in the states). I know that he was located in York, Pa, USA (outside Philadelphia, Pa) by 1910. If anyone has any connections, or leads or are family, please let me know.

Thanks!!!
Shawn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh, Michael (J?), son of Andrew
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Before doing any research in Ireland (and Dublin is probably where you'll find the records you want) you need to gather more information from U.S. records.

When and where did Michael die? Death certificates in most U.S. states list names of both parents (as provided by an informant).
Starting with census records- you have found 1910 but will need to check all other possible ones for clues.

In 1910 Michael & Mary E,'s eldest child, John, was 8 years old and born in Penna. so they were living there by c1902. Married 14 years so c1896 with 7 children (only 3 living). Michael to U.S. 1890.
By 1920 the family are living in Philadelphia & Michael gives year of arrival in U.S. as 1886 as well as year of naturalization as 1896- the paperwork for that may give exact date and place of arrival in U.S., etc.

You've said Michael was born in 1871 in Wexford and father named Andrew- where did you get those details and do you have more details that you haven't posted?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PhillyShawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get this information?

"In 1910 Michael & Mary E,'s eldest child, John, was 8 years old and born in Penna. so they were living there by c1902." This I am guessing you the Census,  John was actually born Aug 9th, 1901 (birth record).

"Married 14 years so c1896 with 7 children (only 3 living)." - No Idea where you go this. I didn't know when they were married or that they had 4 children who died.  The 3 living children in 1910 where John Joseph (1901), Helena (1906) & Edward (1909). They had 1 other surviving child, Thomas (my grandfather) born in 1911.

" Michael to U.S. 1890. By 1920 the family are living in Philadelphia (that from the Census) & Michael gives year of arrival in U.S. as 1886 as well as year of naturalization as 1896" -  I have both years a possible arrival dates and the naturalization date as well from ancestry.com.  I have been trying to tie either of those to ship registries.

Michael died at the age of 77 in 1948 in Philadelphia Pa.  I have an archives looking for his obituary. Didn't think of going to the state for a death record. I will look into this.

Michael's birth year we know was c1871 do to census records. Being born in Wexford with a father's name of Andrew is information that I got from my father's cousin (they both had Michael as a grandfather) who apparently did some research when he was in Ireland. Unfortunately all he has was printed documentation which he misplaced and has been trying to find for a few months now with no luck.

My aunt remember Michael being very proud of being a Footman before coming to the states.

I believe this is about everything that I have on him. If I thing of more or find anything else out, I will post it.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 20:01 GMT (UK) »
The details I posted are mainly from 1910 and 1920 census records (if you read the post you can see what I extracted from each). The 1900 census will probably be even more useful as it should list month and year of birth.

Hopefully your relative will soon be able to find his Irish research notes but be very careful about jumping to conclusions- with a common surname like Walsh and equally common name like Michael you could easily end up tracing the wrong family in Ireland.

Michael's death record will certainly be worth looking at as the informant may have provided the names of both parents, etc. If by obituary you mean the newspaper obituary then these are less common and may or may not provide clues.

Do you know where Michael is buried? sometimes cemeteries have details in their records that are not easily found elsewhere. (if you don't know where then his death certificate will show this)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PhillyShawn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes I meant newspaper obituary.  I do not have an exact date of his death so I was hoping to either get that date from the newspaper obituary or at least get the name of the funeral home so I can contact them to get the date.  Once I have the date I can then get the death certificate from the state.