Author Topic: James Bibby of Lambeth  (Read 6645 times)

Offline SBib

• RootsChat Senior
  • Edwin Bibby b1848 British Champion Wrestler
    • View Profile
Re: James Bibby of Lambeth
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
Charles Bibbey (b1807 in Warrington) married Eliza Ridden in 1827 at Lambeth and they are in the 1851 census in Lambeth. They cannot be the parents of James b1818 in Lambeth.
I cannot find the marriage of Charles to Mary Eliza Jones in 1808 in Lambeth. Where did you get this from? There's a Charles who married Mary Ann Jones in 1868 in Lambeth.
BIBBY ONE-NAME STUDY

Offline nick.bray10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the marriage certificate in  front of me. The  writing is terrible, but it states that on  the 8 April 1808, Charles Bibbey (and I think it says Jun) married Mary, and it could be Ellen, Elisa or Ann - actually, I now think it is Ann - Jones, both of full age, he's a bachelor, she's a spinster, he's a glassblower, both living at John Street, his father Charles Bibbey, glass maker, and her father George Jones, Painter. Charles Bibbey Jun signed, and Mary Ann made her mark. This was in the parish church of St Mary Lambeth,  and it is signed by, I think, S Cadrington, curate. I got this from Ancestry Library.com

Offline SBib

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
You say the writing is terrible. Please can you check the date again. Are you sure it's 1808? Could it be 1868?
A Charles Bibbey jun married, in Lambeth, a Mary Ann Jones in 1868, father Charles. This fits with the censuses.
BIBBY ONE-NAME STUDY

Offline nick.bray10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, you're right. The 0 is a lot smaller and is the bottom half of a 6, and the next certificate has 1868.
Thanks for our help.

Offline SBib

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
Ancestry shows the marriage in 1846 of James to Sarah Knott and it gives his father as William. I cannot identify William. The marriage cert would be useful.
BIBBY ONE-NAME STUDY

Offline nick.bray10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 May 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
I now have a copy of the marriage certificate of James Bibbey and Sarah Knott. They were married on the 9 March. 1846, at St Mary Lambeth. He was a glassmaker, they were both of full age, and they were living at White Horse Street. James' father was William Bibbey, deceased, who was also a glassmaker, and Sarah's father Joseph was a labourer. James made his mark, Sarah's name is on the licence but she did not make a mark. The witnesses were John Prizeman and John Poett.

In the1851 census, James and his family are living at 27 White Horse Street, Lambeth. He is a glassmaker, born 1816, Sarah was born in 1824, both of them born in Southwark. James junior was born in 1847 in Lambeth, and is a scholar. and William is two months old.

Also in the 1851 census, Charles Bibbey, born in Dagenham in 1809, was living at 6 Faircloth Court, Lambeth with his wife Eliza, who was born in Southwark in 1809. They had a son, Charles Bibbey, baptised on the 17 Feb, 1850 at St Mary Lambeth, also of 6 Faircloth Court, and not mentioned in the census.

In 1850, William Bibbey was born in Lambeth (vol IV, page ,I think, 335), and on the 3 April, 1865, William Bibbey, a glassblower of High Street, was married in St Mary Lambeth, to Mary Elizabeth Earl, daughter of North Edmund Earl, a  bookbinder from St Pancras. Mary was born in 1845 in Newington. Is this the brother of Charles Bibbey junior or the son of James? Looks like a birth cert is needed
In the 1871 census, William Bibbey, a glassblower, is living at 3 Lucas Crescent, Broadwall, Southwark, and in the 1881 census, lodging at 36 &38 Mint Street, St Saviour, Southwark.
He died in 1885, and is buried at St Olaves church, Southwark.

Offline SBib

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 June 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick. It's been a while but I'm now back on the case.
Eliza Bibbey, your grandmother, appears to be living with her father William, glassblower, age 35 in 1871. This suggests he was born around 1836.
William, born 1850 to James and Sarah, seems unlikely to be Eliza's father because of his age at marriage (15) and his absence from the family in 1861. There is a death of a William Bibbey in 1855 in Southwark. (FreeBMD)
So I think it's more likely that William, born abt1835, son of Charles and Eliza (Ridden), is her father. Charles is also a glass blower and so is his son William. William's birth appears to be Birmingham not Bristol, as in the 71 census, but his brother, Charles, appears to have been born in Bristol, London.
What do you think?
BIBBY ONE-NAME STUDY

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 05 June 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi SBib

Nick hasn't been online here since 2014 but as long as his email address hasn't changed, should receive a notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline SBib

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 June 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dawn.
Never mind. The information is there for anyone who may be interested.
BIBBY ONE-NAME STUDY