Author Topic: Baronial Terrace Radnor Park  (Read 13297 times)

Offline welshwonder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baronial Terrace Radnor Park
« on: Sunday 03 April 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I am wondering if anybody can help me ,my Grandfather Percy Albert Ellis was born at 7 Baronial Terrace in Radnor Park Dumbarton in 1893 just wondering if anybody is able to help me with this as I know that after it was bombed they tore it down rebuilt it and gave it new names .I am coming up that way in April and would love to be able to go and find the street .Can anybody help.Regards Fiona ???

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Baronial Terrace Radnor Park
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,
 I am not familiar with Baronial Terrace ..I know most of the streets in Radnor Park. which is in Clydebank G81.    I am not aware of a Radnor Park in Dumbarton.  Clydebank comes under Dunbartonshire....maybe that's where the mistake lies.
 You are right that Radnor Park was bombed badly during the war,and they did rebuild it...but I'm sure the street names stayed the same.  Do you have any other information that would help us?

Myyran
Stevenson,Wright,  Antrim, Armagh.
McGowan,McGregor, Wright, Alexandria.   Grattan, McCauley. Ireland

Offline welshwonder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry no my grandfather was born there but I am unsure why ,my great grandparents left wales to come to glasgow and lived at Shamrock st ,they also had 2 shoe shops one being in Shamrock st and the other in Renfield st .His brother was born in Glasgow and also his sister so I can not work out why he wasn't also, I did phone up the birth record office and asked where he was born and it was them who gave me the address but also the dater of birth seemed to be out by a year, Clydebank archieves didn't know where about it was they said that the streets had been renamed after they were bombed .
I was told that I could get information from the web site called the Scottish people but I don't know whether they would give me anymore details

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona

From the 1901 census, Baronial Terrace shows in Old Kilpatrick, Dumbartonshire. 17 Baronial Terrace looks to have at least 4 households living there in 1901 (24 people showing at that address that year). In 1901, over 350 people showing as living at Baronial Terrace.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona
The web site you are looking for is scotlandspeople it will give you all the information you need if your Grandfather was born in Scotland.   You will need credits for that site.  The general Registry of Scotland in Edinburgh also hold records of Births, Deaths and Marriages.  They can  post to you a birth certificate  if you have a credit card.  Don't know the cost but you could ask.. telephone number is 0131 334 0380.  Renfield Street is in Glasgow and hasn't changed that much... Shamrock Street I think  will probably have changed.  Let me know how you get on.
Myyran

Offline welshwonder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 21:45 BST (UK) »
Just on the site now and had just decided to phone up to check the price ,do you know where I will get any photos of these 2 areas .Will let you know the outcome thanks Fiona

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,
You could try   theglasgowstory....urbanglasgow...or try Bing maps..  type in Shamrock street... Renfield street  Glasgow. Scroll down..  There are some nice old photo's.
You could also try google earth it will show how the streets are now.

If I can think of any other web site ,I'll let you know.
Myyran

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,
Bing Maps...should have said when your Glasgow map comes on screen , click on images for the old photo's.   Did you ever consider that your G Grandmother could have been visiting a relative in Baronial Terrace when she gave birth?.  The transport wasn't that good but  I'm sure there was tramcars/railway back them..its worth thinking about.  I think the key is finding out exactly where Baronial Terrace was.  If it was where the woman said Radnor Park,  it was so badly damaged the street won't be there now.  If you look at web site blitz on clydeside run by glasgow.gov.uk  click on photo gallery you will see the devastation in Radnor Park...nothing was left standing except the 'La Scala' cinema.

Myyran

Offline welshwonder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 14:02 BST (UK) »
Every bit helps as far as I know I don't think we had any relatives living there as my great grandma was from London and then in an orphanage in Bristol and my great grandfather was from Liverpool but living in mid wales will have to have a look at the postal books that they have in Scotland .will keep you informed thanks Fiona