Author Topic: Micheal Mcgrath  (Read 8078 times)

Offline maggie smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Micheal Mcgrath
« on: Tuesday 21 December 10 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I have almost traced my grandfathers family, however on one of the informants of the Death of David Condon 17/01/1890 was a Michael Mcgrath who residence was Mountain Castle. 
Can anyone enlighten my as I do not know Ireland very well, but there is a great chance that the Mcgraths and Condons are related.  My grandfathers name was Maurice Mcgrath

Maggie >:(

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Mcgrath
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 14:06 GMT (UK) »
What information are you looking for? have you searched for Michael McGrath in 1901 and 1911 census records yet?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 14:07 GMT (UK) »
There are townlands named Mountaincastle north & south in west Co. Waterford. See the townland database at : www.thecore.com/seanruad

They seem to be near to the Tipperary border, and close to the town of Clonmel. The registration district for this part of Co. Waterford would be Dungarvan.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline maggie smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have, but I do not know anything about him.  I assume that he could be the brother of my grandfather Maurice.  His brother was a priest, and there is a photo of of Canon Mcgrath on the Waterford Archive websight.

Maggie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 14:11 GMT (UK) »
There's a Michael McGrath and family in 1901 census living in Mountaincastle South-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Waterford/Modelligo/Mountaincastle_South/1772082

Still there in 1911 with same aunt Bridget Foley-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Waterford/Modelligo/Mountaincastle__South/664320

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 14:13 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census lists a brother Thomas in the household (married) and Michael's been married 22 years- marriage certificate should list his residence at the time of marriage as well as father's name and occupation.

Offline McGrath_downunder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 January 14 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,
I am tracing my Family, McGrath's from Waterford Co.  I have brothers  Maurice McGrath, Canon McGrath, Father William McGrath and Michael McGrath so far... we are talking latish 1800.  Michael McGrath, Maurice McGrath migrated to New Zealand late 1800 (dates to be confirmed) and Father McGrath migrated Bathurst NSW Australia and then migrated to Wellington NZ as Australia to hot for him.  I have more details if this sounds like you, deaths and marriages etc.  But can I have link to Canon McGrath picture please.
Neal

Offline BEN999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 January 14 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Mountain Castle, parish of Modeligo, county Waterford, was one of many Castles held by the Mcgrath Family, originally a clan of Swordsmen from the Beara Peninsulla, in Cork, they held a line of about 7 Castles, (in-fee) between Kilmanahan Castle Clonmel, to Abbeyside Dungarvan, county Waterford, for there overlords, The Fitzgeralds of Desmond, this of course included Mountain Castle, Modeligo Parish Waterford, Mountain Castle is today owned by a family called Nugent, and is run as a small Hotel-Guest House, that is a brief Synopsis of there involvement in Waterford County.

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 January 14 10:33 GMT (UK) »
7th September 1865, Place of death Mountain Castle, Name James McGrath, age at death 4 days, rank , son of farmer, informant, Michael McGrath, district Seskinane, Union Dungarvan. This information is from death register records on the Waterford County Library site , its in the family history section. There are a lot of records for the name McGrath, im sure there are others that are related to Michael McGrath there.