Author Topic: Nicholas O'Neill / Neill / Neal from Tomatee, Co. Wexford who died in Boston  (Read 6066 times)

Offline caroline_wex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas O'Neill / Neill / Neal from Tomatee, Co. Wexford who died in Boston
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 October 11 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hello, Sandra!
I've since been on to newspapers in Bostonto see if they might have an archive of obituaries  for 1946. One lovely lady had a look through the database and pointed me in the right direction to download from their site for a small fee. Newton Nicholas was definitely the right one. Here's the obituary for him -

:::Daily Boston Globe - Feb 26th 1946:::

O'Neill - In Newton Upper Falls Feb 24.
Nicholas O'Neill of 24 Summer St, formerly of Wexford, Ireland.
Funeral from the Henry J Burke Parlors, 17, Washington St,
at Newton Lower Falls Wednesday at 8am.
High Mass of Requiem at Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church at 9 o'clock.
Friends respectfully invited. Visiting hours. 2 to 10.

I've just emailed MIoL Church so maybe they'll be able to let me know where he's buried.
It also gives his last address as Summer Street, Newton Falls Upper but, from what I can gather, I can't access 1940+ census online as 1940 will not be released til 2012?! Might be different with the City Directories though.

Thanks a million,
Caroline

O'Neills - Tomatee, Co. Wexford
Kehoes - Rossard and Clonjordan, Co. Wexford
Murphys - Carranroe/Craanrue, Co. Wexford
Breens - Mangan, Killann, Co. Wexford
Byrnes - Bagnalstown and Dunroe, Co. Carlow
O'Gormans - Ballybawn and Killegney, Co. Wexford
O'Keefes - Knockadean, Co. Kilkenny and Ballywilliam, Co. Wexford
Somers - Ballywilliam, Co. Wexford

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas O'Neill / Neill / Neal from Tomatee, Co. Wexford who died in Boston
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 October 11 16:36 BST (UK) »
There are some city directories for Newton available for free here:  http://www.ci.newton.ma.us/city%20clerk/genealogy.html

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 October 11 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

Great news from Boston - hope they can identify the burial place for you. Had another go at 1930 but haven't found Nicholas yet.  Yes, 1940 Census due out next year.   Maybe the link Shelly has put on will help locate him - hope so

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline caroline_wex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 October 11 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hello!
Yes... and I've just this minute had an email back from Mary Immaculate of Lourdes Church. They were able to tell me exactly where he is buried in their cemetery and a few other details about him, which is fantastic!
Thanks a million for all your help -  you've been great!!!
Caroline

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 October 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

Pleasure to have helped, didn't think we would find very much in the beginning - just goes to show  ;)

Just a thought - If you wanted to try and get a photograph of the tombstone - You could join Find A Grave (free) and create a memorial page for Nicholas O'Neill at the Cemetery and then request a photograph - its explained here -  How to submit a photo request.  Hope this helps.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=listFaqs#73

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline m11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 November 11 13:53 GMT (UK) »
hi, im doing family tree and saw your info on nicholas, was wondering if you could tell me who his sister bridget was married to and where the graves are for the sibblings please. m.

Offline caroline_wex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 November 11 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Great! Can you fill in any other pieces of the puzzle if yours is the same O'Neill family?

Not sure yet but there is the possibility she was married to a Mikey Jordan. There is also the possibility she was married to a Doyle near Bree.

Most of the O'Neill siblings are buried in Kilmyshall with a number of them buried in Enniscorthy.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Offline m11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 November 11 11:18 GMT (UK) »
well, i was trying to know for certain so i would be on the right track. a bridget neil in 1911 was  married to james swords. she wasnt married in 1901 and going on age i pinpointed bridget neill from tomatee as she was there in 1901 and gone from there in 1911. cant find a marriage cert in co. wex.  i dont know any thing else about the neill family.

Offline Kon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 August 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
I know it's a long time since the last post but I'm looking for info on the family  as well...
I'm an oneill living in Wexford. I'm a great granddaughter of Nicholas's brother Timothy.  I'm trying to find out more info on their family,  siblings,  parents etc.
Caroline are you in Wexford? Would it be possible to pick your brain by email or phone.?