Author Topic: Help with the 1920 US Federal Census  (Read 1815 times)

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with the 1920 US Federal Census
« on: Thursday 16 October 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
Can any body help?

I have a Patrick Adley marrying a Mary Conley on 1st October 1895 At Portland Maine.

I know from the Portland, Maine Directories that he was living at 43 Centre Portland Maine in the 1920 & 1921 directories and at 4 Spring in the 1923, 1924 and 1927 Directories Patrick died  15th January 1930 and Mary his wife is recorded in the 1930 directory although no address is given.

Can anybody explain why I cannot cannot find them in the 1920 US Federal Census? Equally I cannot find them in the 1900, 1910 censuses or Mary as a widow in the 1930 Census.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your help

Regards
Brian
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the 1920 US Federal Census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 October 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
This looks them misspelled in 1920 at 43 Centre St.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MFZ8-BKH

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 October 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelltesq,
That is brilliant. With those miss spellings of the surname I would ever have found them

Regards
Brian

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 October 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.

The 1929 city directory has Mary listed as widowed as well.  It looks like Patrick & Mary were buried in Calvary Cemetery - http://portlanddiocese.org/genealogy  The 15 Jan. 1930 death date seems to be Mary's, and Patrick died 10 Apr. 1928.  So, it looks like Mary would have died before the 1930 census was taken.

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 October 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq,

Many thanks for the link to the Calvery Cemetery Records. I have identified a number dates of death for a number of people I am interested in.

Would you happen know if the Portland Diocese has a similar website for marriages? I have found the Maine marriages on familysearch.org but not the individuals I expected.

Regards
Brian

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 October 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
The Maine State Archives has a marriage database here:  https://portal.maine.gov/marriage/archdev.marriage_archive.search_form 

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 October 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Shellyesq,
Many thanks for the link you provided for portland marriages. You have been extremely helpful with all your advice.
If you want to see what you advice is helping to develop take a look at my website www.audleyfamilyhistory.com

In one branch of the Audley family that originated in Galway Ireland the surnames Adley and Audley were interchangeable. The current branch of the family in Galway now uses the surname Audley as does the branch that emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts. The interesting thing is thar branch that rmigrated to Portland Maine appear to have kept the surname as Adley.

Thanks for all your help
Regards
Brian