Author Topic: FERRIER of Angus  (Read 71681 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FERRIER of Angus
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 19:57 GMT (UK) »
My secondary school was the Waid Academy, Anstruther, Fife, and before my time there was an English teacher there called William Ferrier, known as "Old Bill". I've checked on Scotlandspeople and he died in Anstruther in 1951, aged 67. He was born in Brechin and his parents were Walter McGill Ferrier, chemist & druggist in Brechin, and Ann Marr Cruickshank from Aberdeen (m.1872).

Looking at a history of my old school with reminiscences from former pupils, I find "Mr. W. Ferrier - Old Bill - was the most delightful and lovable teacher in the school, he was kind to everyone: he taught English and laughed a lot."

Somebody else describes him as a fine scholar of Oriental languages who could read the Bible in Persian. And I've heard a personal reminiscence from a former teacher of my parents' generation who said that Bill Ferrier was a keen draughts player at a time when it was a popular competitive sport.

Teaching in those days was such a respected profession that it often attracted very well-qualified and scholarly individuals - the kind of person who might not be too attracted to teaching nowadays.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 19 December 13 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Here's another Ferrier for anyone who's interested.

Fishing-boats in East Fife often carried one or two "half-dealsmen" - men from another town who had no share in the boat and were paid a weekly wage - and when the Brothers of Anstruther went down with all hands in the North Sea in 1902, the crew included the half-dealsmen Charles Norrie and David Ferrier of Broughty Ferry, who were brothers-in-law. Charles Norrie was married to David Ferrier's sister Jessie Dorward Ferrier. They were the children of William Ferrier, pilot, and Mary Lorimer.

Harry

Offline Darren1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Perhaps you can help me with my quest to find out where my Ferrier's originated from! My great great grandfather Peter Ferrier was born in 1838 in Blairgowrie, Perthshire. I have led to believe he was illegitimate, however on his marriage certificate in 1874 in Persie, Perthshire, both his parents are recorded and down as being married, two years later on his mother's death certificate she was recorded as being single even though Peter was registered as her informant and had a different surname from her. I have done quite abit on Peter and his mother (Euphemia Cameron), I found that Euphemia was born 1798 in Kirkmicheal, Perthshire, she and Peter were both living in Rattray in 1841 census.

All I can find about Peter's father, James Ferrier is that he was deceased in 1874 and his occupation was a Mason. I haven't managed to find any death certificate between 1855-1874 which suggests he died prior civil registration. There is no mention of a James Ferrier in any other the 1841/51/61 or 71 censuses for the county of Perth, perhaps he originated from Forfarshire as geographically is not far from Blairgowrie and Rattray.

Anyone got any clues or info?

Thanks
Darren

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 00:10 BST (UK) »
Does anyone, anywhere know why this James Ferrier's middle name is Fotheringham?

Would love to know :)

Marriage: 1823/NOV/13 Kirkden,Angus,Scotland
Husband: Ferrier William  pn[8016] Sex M (-1794-1861-), Alternative Name=WILLM
Wife: Gibb Elspeth  pn[8015] Sex F (-1809-1851-), Alternative Name=ELSEPETH, Alternative

Child #6: Ferrier James Fotheringham  pn[8014] Sex M (-1836-)
Christening: 1836/APR/10 Kirkden,Angus,Scotland
Census: 1851/MAR/30 Age:15 Inverkeillor,Angus,Scotland, Age=15
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline Moira Tracey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 04 July 14 23:43 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of one of those rescued that night when the La Bella went down.
If not for Mr Ferrier....... I would not be here.

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 07 November 14 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a Ferrier on my tree. My great x 2 grandmother was Margaret Ferrier. I don't know much apart from she was married 6 Oct 1885 abroad to David West Leighton. She was probably born mid 1800s. I believe she is from the Forfar area. Any connections?
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 09 November 14 11:35 GMT (UK) »
After an amazing discovery of a marriage announcement of David West Leighton to Maggie (Margaret) Ferrier I have discovered a few more generations to the Ferriers (I'm so excited) and so will put them here in case there is further information.
Margaret Ferrier b. abt 1859 Dundee
father Michael Ferrier b. abt 1829 Brechin Mill Manager (I believe this is for Jute and has connections with Calcutta & Candahare)
g.father John Ferrier b. abt 1801 Angus
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 09 November 14 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi British Wiki

This looks like a possible entry for Margaret Ferrier's birth in 1858 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY5K-1RK

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 09 November 14 16:54 GMT (UK) »

GRO overseas birth indexes (these can be ordered from the GRO in the same way as English/Welsh birth certificates - a few different sites have the indexes):
1886-1890 indexes

all registered Zante (numbers are volume/page)
Johanna Fullerton Leighton 8/1217
Margaret Leighton, 8/1213
William Michael F Leighton, 8/1211

From Jorose's info early this year, name of daughter would fit will with Margaret's mother's name.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk