Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)James McKenzie born Craig 1821  (Read 12954 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
(*Completed with thanks*)Re: James McKenzie born Craig 1821
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica - went to bed last night convinced it was the wrong Alexander and woke up this morning convince that it was the right one! Downloaded his 1864 MC but no further clues on that. His wife's mother's MS was Craib so that's where Jessie got her name.

OK on the 'it's him list':
1. Susan Davidson (although listed as Mrs Mitchell) is listed as his mother on DC and MC.
2. On the census he consistently puts down born in Craig.
3. On the 51 census, while living with Susan he's down as a scholar at age 20 - then turns out to be a teacher by 61 (dies a grocer).
4. I can't find another Alexander Mitchell born Craig on any census...
5. Family links with his middle names Davidson and Deucher (Susan's sister Ann is married to one)
The only thing that's a bit out is his age - 3 years younger from 61 census onwards - think I may have to live with that.

back to weeding...
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline McTeacher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: (*Completed with thanks*)James McKenzie born Craig 1821
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 August 19 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've interacted with you about an Alexander McKenzie on a different thread but thought I might not have made the following clear.

1) Alexander McKenzie married an Ann Greig in 1802 in Guthrie and was a "Cattle Dealer" (mentioned on many docs). They had children together until 1822. In 1841 census there is a 93 yr old Alexander McKenzie living w/ a 58 yr old Ann Greig and their grandson (Alexander Gibb). I think this Alex McKenzie is her father-in-law. She is listed in 1851 census as a widow (living w/ her daughter and family).

2) Their daughter Isobel McKenzie married an Alexander Gibb who is the child of David Gibb and Grace "Grizel" Greig. He also has a sister named Mary Gibb who is about the right age (see next). This Mary had a mother named Jean a paternal grandfather named James (note Alexander's paternal grandfather was also an Alexander - David's father so naming pattern holds).

I'm trying to connect these Grieg women but it's not easy so far.

3) There was an Alexander McKenzie who married a Mary Gibb around 1790 in Guthrie and they had two children (James and Jean - can find no others). Digging more into them now.

Hope this helps you w/ your James McKenzie.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 September 19 12:34 BST (UK) »

3) There was an Alexander McKenzie who married a Mary Gibb around 1790 in Guthrie and they had two children (James and Jean - can find no others). Digging more into them now.

I'm about 95% certain the James (1) born to Alexander MacKenzie and Mary Gibb is the father of James (2) Mackenzie born to Susan Davidson in 1821.  James (1) died in 1859 - father listed as Alexander McKenzie (cattle dealer) and mother Mary (looks like Gibb) his sister Jane (married to a James Carrie) died in 1866 father listed as Alexander McKenzie (crofter) and mother Mary Gibb. I'm still not 100% convinced that Ann Greig didn't marry a man much older than herself and that is her husband and not her father in law with her on the census. I suspect David Gibb and Mary are siblings they are both living at Millfield and having children with partners Alexander MacKenzie and Mary Wyllie in 1788...

Offline McTeacher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 September 19 13:30 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

I agree with your comments but wish I could resolve the old Alexander McKenzie.

As for Gibb, you mention a David Gibb. I have one connected to my line of the family as the father of Alexander Gibb married to Alexander McKenzie and Ann Grieg's daughter Isobel. He was married to Grace Grizel Greig and had a sister Mary Gibb born in Roscobie in 1769. I was thinking this is the Mary Gibb who was the mother of your James Gibb. Since you mention one from "Millfield", am I wrong

I have Alexander McKenzie and Ann Greig's granddaughter Grace Murray McKenzie marrying a Wyllie. Her father is Alexander married to a Jean Whyte whose mother is Isabella Binny (another name that keeps popping up as does Kydd and Ramsay).

Thanks again for your information :-)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 September 19 16:01 BST (UK) »
Could be David Gibb's first wife? You'll see a Greig mentioned between the two births :) Very polite clerk.

Offline McTeacher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 01 September 19 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that interesting document. I think it's taking me into a rabbit-hole. Do you have the whole page? That is Millfield, part of Inverkeilor?

Have you seen this w/ ties to your family names all over? I followed the Potter Grieg birth w/ a google producing interesting results.

https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Potter-Family-Tree-2467

Offline McTeacher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 September 19 16:52 BST (UK) »
...and also found this w/ many of your family

http://www.thepotters.ca/Genealogy/p50.htm#i945

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 01 September 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links. If you PM me with your email I'll send you the pages I have for Guthrie. I have the marriage banns for both couple - one above the other on the same page :)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Some background...
James McKenzie married Jean Stott in Craig in 1844.  I have Jean's OPR birth, their OPR marriage and both their DCs.  I have them on the census (originals) from 51 to 81 the decade of their deaths.  Of their seven children I have OPR birth for three and a birth certificate from 1867 for their youngest.

Hi Jenny,

I have Stotts from Craig Parish around this time.

My 5x great grandfather was John Stott b. 1781 Stracathro died 1857 at Boddin, Craig. His wife was Anne Tindal. I'm descended through their son James Stott born 1810, Craig. He married a Janet Nicoll. I'm not sure if I have all of the children of John Stott and Anne Tindal.

I know we've spoken before about the Sherets and Jollys on other sites.  ;D
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie