Author Topic: Is this the same child with two baptisms?  (Read 740 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this the same child with two baptisms?
« on: Thursday 27 March 14 16:15 GMT (UK) »
I have found a baptism on Familysearch for Jane Stanbrook in Hampstead Norreys on 24 Dec 1797 parents William Stanbrook and Jane. Also a baptism of a Jane Stanbrook in Blandford Congregational Church on 13 Nov 1797 with parents also William and Jane. This Jane was born 8 Oct 1797. No mention in Hampstead Norreys entry when first (my) Jane was born.
I would have put this down as a coincidence but Jane (the mother) was born in Tarrant Keynston, Dorset according to 1851 census and the Blandford entry says "unsettled" in the column for abode, I presume meaning they were just staying temporarily in the area. The familysearch record doesn't say what denomination the church was in Hampstead N, but if C of E it wouldn't be the first time I have found people with 2 baptisms, one in NonConformist and one in C of E.
Is it the same child? 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the same child with two baptisms?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 March 14 16:37 GMT (UK) »
The familysearch record doesn't say what denomination the church was in Hampstead N,

Film  88298 is  the Church of England. Parish Church of Hampstead-Norris (Berkshire)
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 March 14 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stan, so it was two different denominations, sounds like the parents must have been different denominations for there to have been two baptisms so close together. In my other case of two baptisms, the child was baptised in NC chapel when a few weeks old and then rebaptised when he was 10 (in a job lot with several younger siblings) in C of E. So I suspect the parents had changed religion in that case.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 March 14 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I've found a few like that Lizzie, and put it down to the fact that the non-conformists and dissidents weren't recognised by the established church so, just to make sure that the children were 'done', they were also baptised by a 'proper' minister.

I could be way off the mark and I'm sure someone will correct me.   

Sorry for the '......'  by the way.

Susan

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 March 14 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

If you haven't already seen it they were married in Dorset 20-3-1796 see here;
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NVGK-581

Several trees on Anc...y have them listed as William bapt. 1772 s/o William & Martha (nee Marshall) in Hampstead Norreys  and Jane (bapt. 1775 Dorset) as the d/o  John Coward & Elizabeth (nee Brixey).

In addition there is a record of a William Stanbrook being sentenced to 7 years transportation in 1824 for "Offence against the game Law" . Same person??

It looks like Jane was buried in 1860 (aged 88) and William 1856 (aged  84) both in Hampstead Norreys.

Does this help ??

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 March 14 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I had missed the marriage, somehow it didn't show up when I tried Family Search and it doesn't look as if Tarrant Keynston marriages are on Dorset OPC yet.
I'll have to look at the trees on Ancestry and see whether the baptisms for William and Jane look feasible. The William who was transported could have been his son William, bapt 1800, I'll have to see if there are any newspaper reports giving an age. His daughter Sarah was transported for life and also her husband (Joseph Annetts).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=656392.0

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 March 14 08:56 GMT (UK) »
As William senior appears on censuses after 1824 it would be unlikely to be him transported in 1824. Although he would be free by 1831, I believe transportees would have to pay for their own passage home and I doubt he could afford to.