Author Topic: Search of the grave of my great great grandfather died in Bathgate Munro Ross  (Read 6824 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Search of the grave of my great great grandfather died in Bathgate Munro Ross
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 July 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
The Bennie Museum in Bathgate has lists of gravestone inscriptions in various cemeteries in Bathgate, and plans of the cemeteries to make it easier to find the graves.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Escoces

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Search of the grave of my great great grandfather died in Bathgate Munro Ross
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 July 13 23:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, there will be some Bennie Museum mail to ask them about it?

Jaime

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 00:08 BST (UK) »
The suggestion was really intended to help mosstrooper when he goes to Bathgate as promised, but here is the link..

http://benniemuseum.org.uk/contentw/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Escoces

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 00:29 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks anyway go mosstrooper to Bathgate with the help of the link

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 08:07 BST (UK) »
Escoces,   some Bathgate links on here,    http://e-voice.org.uk/bathgate/
There is also the West Lothian Family History Society which might help.

Skoosh.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 11:09 BST (UK) »
I have had a look in Mitchell's "Monumental Inscriptions (pre 1855) in West Lothian" and can find no trace of the grave in either Kirkton or Jarvey Street churchyards in Bathgate. The first interments in Glasgow Road Cemetery look as they were in 1860, a bit after the the death of Munro. I also had a look at the West Lothian Family History Society's CD transcription of the burial registers for Bathagte Glasgow Road in case Jean died after 1860 and can find no trace.

Eric

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 12:21 BST (UK) »
Not a common Bathgate name, there are about 30 Ross's in the Bathgate Mortality Records 1860-1925, about half are from mining families in Armadale.
 With a name like Munro Ross I suspect an Easter Ross origin is likely.

Skoosh.

Offline Escoces

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
I have a certificate that says that Munro died on September 23, 1845 in Bathgate, but does not indicate where he is buried.
According to my great-grandfather David I send to make a tombstone and are buried together.
Now his wife Jane died some years before the October 23, 1837 in Scoonie, Fife. Post also the certificate.

If not in Bathgate, could be in Scoonie?

I have removed attachments as RootsChat has long adopted the following approach with regard to the posting of certificates.  It is acceptable to post small portions when asking for assistance with deciphering of handwriting, but not a complete certificate.

I understand that English is not your first language and will try and explain more fully by PM. "tidybooks"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 22:20 BST (UK) »
I think it is possible that the record of Jean's death could be under her maiden name Jean Gillespie, because married women in Scotland did not always take their husband's surname.

I found two records of the death and burial in Bathgate of Mary Cleland, who was married to John Jarvey.  In the mortcloth records she was simply named as "Mary Cleland", but in the parish register she is recorded as "Mary Cleland, widow of John Jarvey".

Unless you have some reason to think that Munro Ross and Jean Gillespie had a connection with Scoonie, the Jean Ross who is buried there is unlikely to be yours.