Author Topic: Hurley, Portlaw?  (Read 11551 times)

Offline gwenwalker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley, Portlaw?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 March 13 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am researching my husbands side of the family.

His Grandfather is Michael Hurley and great Grandfather John Hurley who was a joiner. He had sisters Norah, May and ?Gertrude but this name could be wrong. I also note that my John Hurley seems to be married to a Catherine Higgins not Kathleen! Michael married Catherine Sweeney in Manchester and had 5 children Kathleen (my mother in law), Dennis, Mary, Josephine and Austin.

I hope this is of interest

Gwen

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 March 13 12:43 GMT (UK) »
In the graveyard of Holy Trinity Without church , Ballybricken are buried the following Hurleys. Erected by Thomas Hurley , Yellow Road, in memory of his sister Alice who died 20th April 1881 (or 1884) aged 44 years. Erected in memory of Mrs. Mary Coady of Thomas Street , who died March 1st 1854 aged 64 years. Also her daughter Mrs. Margaret Hurley alias Coady , who died on the 13th June 1872 aged 40 years. Also in memory of John Hurley , Barronstrand Street, who departed this life 2nd July 1853 aged 53 years.

Offline Joanne Clements

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 August 14 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwen, I can't believe I have only just seen your post, yes definitely of interest  :), my mum remembers Michael and Catherine, and Kate his mother. Have you been able to find anything about them ?. Gertrude was really Bridget, but she didn't like Bridget.

Joanne

Offline gwenwalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 August 14 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwen, I can't believe I have only just seen your post, yes definitely of interest  :), my mum remembers Michael and Catherine, and Kate his mother. Have you been able to find anything about them ?. Gertrude was really Bridget, but she didn't like Bridget.

Hi Joanne
I think we have a match here. Michael and Catherine were married in Ashton-Under-Lyne on 23rd October, 1910. He was 21 and she was 20. The marriage certificate also names his father as John Hurley a joiner. The certificate was witnessed by James and Mary Neild? Kevin (my husband) said his Mum recalled the 3 aunties - Nora, Gertie and May.
My family tree is on Genes Reunited. Are you on genes?
Gwen