Author Topic: Waterford, Comedian, and Theatre Manager 1870-74  (Read 2753 times)

Offline wolfeeboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waterford, Comedian, and Theatre Manager 1870-74
« on: Wednesday 29 January 14 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
my Great Great Grand Father, Joseph Ramus, lived in Carrick on Suir, and Waterford for at least 4 years between 1870 to '74. On his son, Alfred's birth certificate in 1870 at Waterford, Joseph's occupation is listed as 'comedian', by his next son, my G G Grand father, Henry, 1872, he is still a comedian, but by the birth of his daughter, Martha Louisa, 1874, he is now listed as, 'Theatre Manager'. They lived at, 'Manor street', 'New Lane', and, 'Barrack street', on these certificates. During their time in Ireland, they went by the surname of, 'Raymond'. If anyone could shed any light on this time, or even better, have any theatre records, or even just the theatre name, I would love to hear.

Thanks,
Andy Ramus

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford, Comedian, and Theatre Manager 1870-74
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 10:06 GMT (UK) »
http://www.theatreroyal.ie/visit_us/history/
"Theatre Royal" Waterford.   

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford, Comedian, and Theatre Manager 1870-74
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 10:20 GMT (UK) »
There were several small theatres in the city , as is borne out  in a clipping from the Waterford Mail dated 8th December 1874 , while reporting the sudden death of an old man , mentions that he was a "door keeper and ticket taker at Kavanaghs Cheap theatre" , this theatre may have been a public house. The present Theatre Royal in the city opened in 1876.