Author Topic: Amelia / Elizabeth Mackie  (Read 6729 times)

Offline videos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amelia / Elizabeth Mackie
« on: Sunday 24 August 14 11:06 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me to resolve a problem I have with researching Amelia Mackie.
Born in 1816 in Insch according to the census records for 1841 and 1851. Her parents were William Mackie b.1765 and Jean Cruikshank b.1770. I have not been able to trace any birth record. She married Alexander Fyfe on the 29th January 1858 in Aberdeen. I have then been unable to find any further records in Scotland for either Amelia or Alexander.
However I came across an Elizabeth Mackie in Canada who married Alexander Mackie in 1878 in Fergus Ontario. She lists her year of birth as 1814 and her parents as William Mackie and Jean Cruikshank, the same as Amelia. Her spouse Alexander names his parents as George Mackie and Jean Aberdeen.
I then was able to trace Elizabeth to her death in Canada in1896.
I have not been able to find any further record of children for William and Jean.
Can anyone help me solve this problem. Are Amelia and Elizabeth the same person or sisters or not related at all?
Did Amelia and Alexander emigrate to Canada some time after their marriage.
Amelia also had one child with William Smith in 1838, but did not marry, his name was George Smith Mackie and he is my 2nd Great Grandfather.
I would be grateful for any help you can provide.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Amelia / Elizabeth Mackie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 August 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi videos

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Your 2nd Great Grandfather, George Smith Mackie...he remained in Scotland? What material do you have for him? For example, census entries, his marriage etc.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 August 14 13:57 BST (UK) »
video, just adding this post as background to yours www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=238959.0  A lot there on the early years. Gadget and I did a bit on this line...

George Smith Mackie went on to marry and live in England. You likely have his marriage and census entries there? A good family tree for him online (is this yours?).

From the other post, linked above:

George came to england at some stage I wonder if by boat  Because I first pick him up by his marriage Certificate  He married Esther Howard from Thorrington in Essex on the 18th April   1868 in Reigate Surrey  where they both worked at the  new Lunatic Asylum as Tailors They had a son William Smith Mackie born in Reigate another son Frank Howard Mackie  who was born at 259 Geroge Street Aberdeen 12th September 1874 and a daughter Alice Maud Mackie also born in Reigate 
When Frank was born George's occupation was now given  as a Photographer which he remained for the rest of his life  When he died in 1885 he was running A phographers business here in Colchester   No mention at any time of Amelia :'(

Hopefully people can add something new now  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline videos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 August 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
My hope is that someone can shed some light on Amelia and Elizabeth, are they the same person? Are there any records of Amelia and Alexander emigrating to Canada?
I have most records for George Smith Mackie and his family in Colchester. What I really need is information on William Mackie and Jean Cruikshank, birth and death entries and if they had any further children other than Amelia.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 August 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
Seeing that you have the exact date of marriage for Amelia, what does her marriage certificate say? Were her parents married to each other? I see from the other post that you have that information. Who were the witnesses to the marriage?
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
Amelia's father was a pauper.Have you found out if he applied for poor relief? The application forms contain a wealth of information.
flst.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 September 14 15:21 BST (UK) »
Seeing that you have the exact date of marriage for Amelia, what does her marriage certificate say? Were her parents married to each other? I see from the other post that you have that information. Who were the witnesses to the marriage?
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
Amelia's father was a pauper.Have you found out if he applied for poor relief? The application forms contain a wealth of information.
flst.
Hi People
I have a copy of the register for this marriage Details given for her are she was a dressmaker spinster living at 31 chapel lane Aberdeen her parents were William Mackie farmer deceased and Jane Mackie maiden name Cruickshank witnesses were  William and John garden whom I think were related to one of his daughters. I too have reached a brick wall. I cant even trace their burials.
Amelia seems to have come from Cairneston is that a place?
Ronnie

Offline tracya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 January 15 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Bit late here...I have an Elizabeth Mackie in my tree listed as possibly born 1811.  She married John McCartney in 1837, Greyfriars, Aberdeen.  I have no record of her death (and I've searched high and low).

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 February 15 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Bit late here...I have an Elizabeth Mackie in my tree listed as possibly born 1811.  She married John McCartney in 1837, Greyfriars, Aberdeen.  I have no record of her death (and I've searched high and low).

Do you think she is related to the Amelia/Elizabeth earlier in the thread? If not, it might be a good idea to start a new thread including both surnames, as otherwise some people might miss the thread.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 February 15 13:06 GMT (UK) »
"Amelia seems to have come from Cairneston is that a place?"

Cairneston, Insch, Aberdeenshire.

Regards

Malky

Added :- SP and IGI have 2 marriages for 1799, William Mackie to a Jean Cruickshank, (1) 21/04/1799 at Cairnie and (2) 05/05/1799 at Gartly.