Author Topic: Families and farms in Donegal  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Cfdm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Families and farms in Donegal
« on: Sunday 20 April 14 02:05 BST (UK) »
How long would one family in the late 1800's usually stay on the same farm, without moving?

I know here in the US, family farms are passed down, usually from father to a son, or a son would buy a piece of land close to their parents, so they could help out on both.

Usually,  farmers are born, die, raise their children and live their entire lives in the same house.

Barring those whoemmigrated to a different country, was that how it was done, in Ireland, during that time period, or did being a tenant farmer, rather than an owner, have a big effect on it?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if a person is listed in the Tithe Applotment Book,  what are the chances they, or some of their children, will still be in the same place, in Griffith's Valuation?

Thanks

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Families and farms in Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, this depended on a number of factors, I know from my only family that they were tenants in the same townland for at least 150 years, if they paid their rents and were thought of as good tenants then the landlord would usually be happy to let the land from generation to generation. Even the changing of landlord had little impact on tenants, but this was not always the case.

In the early 19th century there was a major change in farming methods in Donegal, were before most land was held in 'Rundale' by the time of the Griffith Valuation most land had been redivided up into separate tenant farms, which were more viable and easier managed, this would have made many of the earlier holdings untenable so many were forced off land or emigrated before the 1850's. Add to this the famine of the 1840's and many names disappear from townlands around this time period.

As for passing on land from father to son that is how it seemed to be in my own families case, the land was not subdivided so younger brothers and daughters would usually move off the farm or emigrate

So it just depended on individual circumstances.

Regards     
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America