Author Topic: Link: Calendar of Will & Grant books (RoI)  (Read 5426 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Link: Calendar of Will & Grant books (RoI)
« on: Saturday 17 March 12 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Calendar of Will and Grant books for the Republic of Ireland are now available on the National Archives website from 1923 up to the early 1980s. Earlier Calendar years are listed but will not allow access to any document at present. See the National Archives of Ireland website : http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives

Details include name of deceased, address of deceased, date of death, date of application for grant of probate or letters of administration, grant type, date on grant issued, name of grantee , value of estate, name of issuing registry.

Claire Santry has some tips for accessing the collection on her blog

Here's a direct link to the collection which works for me.
Click on the year of interest, and the page refreshes and scrolls back up - the link will look something like :

Digital document Calendar of grants of probate of wills and letters of administration 1934.pdf

You can open this in your browser or right-click and save to your PC. Most of the files seem to be between about 40 and 100mb.

thanks to pinky of boards.ie for the update
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Calendar of Will & Grant books (RoI)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 12 09:42 GMT (UK) »
haven't tried this yet myself - but apparently entries from 1935 to 1949 are indexed so may be searched by name in the NAI's online catalogue. The results should bring  you directly to the relevant page of the calendar, along with a link to the NAI order form needed to request copies of the original documents.

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests