Author Topic: Tips for Searching Records - Glasnevin Cemetery  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
Tips for Searching Records - Glasnevin Cemetery
« on: Tuesday 25 March 14 08:00 GMT (UK) »
I think this is the best thread to post this in but feel free to move it if I am mistaken.

I have been finding that I have been spending too much of my research time being unproductive and it's mainly because I don't always read the 'how to search' on various sites or, if I do, try to put in too much information in and therefore get no returns.

I would like to see a few site specific search threads to help those of us who are not as savvy as others. Even some of the basic tips would be beneficial for newbies and not-so-newbies.

Anyway, I have learnt three things from searching Glasnevin in recent weeks so I'm sharing them here.

1. When searching for a name beginning with O, Mc or Mac don't put it in. Just put in the rest of the name and change the search from exact to contains.  eg rather than McDonald "exact" put in Donald "contains".

2. When you are trying to search for surnames and are unsure of the first name, or the formal first name, when there may not be a first name (eg stillborn babies) or if you've got an unusual surname and just want to see if anyone's there, put an * in the first name box and change search from exact to "wildcard"

3. I'm not sure if this is just with Glasnevin or all records but when an address appears with AS at the end, so 37 High Street, Dublin AS, AS stands for Anatomical Subject and means the body has been used for research purposes and then buried later, usually by the hospital/university who was using the body.  This appeared to occur quite frequently for those who died in workhouses.

As I said, pretty basic stuff but hopefully helpful to someone else.

If you have more for Glasnevin please add or for another Irish site, start another thread.

:D
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Searching Records - Glasnevin Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 18:35 GMT (UK) »
here's a thread where I explained my patent address-searching mechanism for Glasnevin

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=351409.msg3236441#msg3236441

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
Re: Searching Records - Glasnevin Cemetery
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 March 14 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, eadaoin. I had asked somebody about that technique a while back and thought it was inspired - so long as you have the patience.  I was going to include it on my search tips bit could never have explained it so succinctly. :D
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin