Author Topic: Sarah Gorry 1901 Mullingar  (Read 8105 times)

Offline longsli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Gorry 1901 Mullingar
« on: Friday 28 December 12 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Gorry 1901 Mullingar

Any information regarding Sarah Gorry of Mullingar (born 1901 approx) much appreciated. Sarah had a daughter Mary Gorry (my mother). I believe Mary lived in Dublin and worked in a school for Deaf girls before moving to live in Glasgow, Scotland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Gorry 1901 Mullingar
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 12 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked for Sarah on the 1901 and 1911 census returns already ?

If Sarah died in Scotland then a good place to start would be with her death cert, as these include names of parents which would help confirm any earlier records you locate - assuming the informant knew accurate information. If she married then a marriage cert would also give useful details.

If the clues you have re date and area of birth are accurate then there is a good possible match on the BMD Index as follows that is definitely worth following up by ordering a cert:

Name: Sarah Gorry
  Registration district:   Mullingar
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1901
  Volume : 3 / Page: 204

see : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBKM-2TT

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 December 12 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Jul Sept would have been too late for the 1901 Census as it was taken on the 31st of March.
I'm having no luck so far with the 1911 it's possible the name was mis-transcribed

Offline longsli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 December 12 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Shane!
Thank-you so much for this and I'll get onto it straightaway. Strange how life turns. I had always thought my mother - Mary Gorry - was a Dublin lady until recently. It appears that she was born out of wedlock - no mention of her father's name on wedding or death certificate, only my grandmother, Sarah Gorry. By word of mouth, I believe Mary worked at St Mary's Dominican Convent for Deaf girls at Cabra. I believe there was a 'Laundry' close by (now demolished?) so this is possible if my mother had been illigitemate. My mother moved to Glasgow where she met my father and both were married. Unfortunately both my parents died when I was 11 and I was placed into a Children's Home and so the story went 'cold'.
Now here's the good news! I have become a fully qualified Sign Language Interpreter for Deaf People and am undertaking a PhD at Queen's University, Belfast, in interpreting and translation!
I will be visiting Dublin and Mullingar when I get the opportunity. I would dearly like to know who Sarah Gorry was, what befell her, and a little more of my mother, Mary's, history.
As I say, your help has been invaluable and very much appreciated.
A very happy 2013 and thank-you!   

If Sarah died in Scotland then a good place to start would be with her death cert, as these include names of parents which would help confirm any earlier records you locate - assuming the informant knew accurate information. If she married then a marriage cert would also give useful details.

If the clues you have re date and area of birth are accurate then there is a good possible match on the BMD Index as follows that is definitely worth following up by ordering a cert:

Name: Sarah Gorry
  Registration district:   Mullingar
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1901
  Volume : 3 / Page: 204

see : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBKM-2TT

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane

Offline longsli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 December 12 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you Sinnan!
All of this info is a great help! I am very much a 'beginner' but if you read my reply to Shane, you will see why I am so curious as to who my grandmother Sarah Gorry was!
Happy 2013!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 December 12 12:00 GMT (UK) »
just 5 Gorrys listed on the Dublin City voters registers for 1939 - but no sign of Sarah. Not seeing any likely marriages or deaths for her in Ireland either.

see : http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral/search.php

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 December 12 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the site longsli

As there are only a few GORRY births during the period 1890 to 1910 in Mullingar unless the name was spelt differently (GOREY, GORY, etc) then this is a likely connection

The birth certificate of the Sarah mentioned from 1901 will confirm the names of her parents and there is a possibility that she is the Clara shown here with a GORRY family in 1911 as there is no birth of a Clara at that time in the records; the census shows that the head, Michael, could not read or write and who ever filled in the form for the family, there is a possibility that if he did not know them well may have misheard a name i.e. Clara for Sarah

The family shown here is also on the 1901 census

The head Michael married twice;
1874 to Catherine WARD with whom he had at least 8 children, she died in 1894;
he then married Elizabeth GIFF in 1895 with whom he had at least 6 children, she died in 1912;
Michael died in 1925
So if this is the correct family, it is a large extended one and there is easily accessible information on line for many of them.

Best to start with the birth cert and confirm those details of Sarah's parents and then hopefully things will start to fall into place for you

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline longsli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 December 12 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Again - many thanks Shane! Granny Sarah Gorry is proving to be a fascinating mystery. I have come across her name linked to Mountjoy Prison in 1915 - Larceny! She would have been 14 at the time. A Michael Gorry (father?) is also mentioned which all starts to make for a somewhat chilling sense - I'll need to do some further digging here.
I'm very pleased at having such a potentially colourful Granny.............

Offline longsli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 December 12 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this wonderful research - myluck - from knowing so very little I now have some interesting avenues to explore.
I know this sounds a bit 'weird' but it's as if Granny Sarah Gorry wants me to find her......
You have been extremely generous sharing your experience and expertise, I really am most grateful!

Welcome to the site longsli

As there are only a few GORRY births during the period 1890 to 1910 in Mullingar unless the name was spelt differently (GOREY, GORY, etc) then this is a likely connection

The birth certificate of the Sarah mentioned from 1901 will confirm the names of her parents and there is a possibility that she is the Clara shown here with a GORRY family in 1911 as there is no birth of a Clara at that time in the records; the census shows that the head, Michael, could not read or write and who ever filled in the form for the family, there is a possibility that if he did not know them well may have misheard a name i.e. Clara for Sarah

The family shown here is also on the 1901 census

The head Michael married twice;
1874 to Catherine WARD with whom he had at least 8 children, she died in 1894;
he then married Elizabeth GIFF in 1895 with whom he had at least 6 children, she died in 1912;
Michael died in 1925
So if this is the correct family, it is a large extended one and there is easily accessible information on line for many of them.

Best to start with the birth cert and confirm those details of Sarah's parents and then hopefully things will start to fall into place for you