Author Topic: A ship for Capt. Ralph Hindmarsh 1800 - 1830  (Read 9770 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A ship for Capt. Ralph Hindmarsh 1800 - 1830
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
One more thing, Jo,

For all these libraries and archives, it is best to pre-register for a Reader's Ticket now, before you leave New Zealand. It will save you precious time in England and, in most cases, you'll be able to pre-order what you want to see, so that it is ready waiting for you in the Reading Room on the nominated day (otherwise there could be a few days delay as not all records are actually stored on site). Also be aware that you will need to show proof of identity when you arrive at the archive - your passport should suffice, but I have been told that Kew also wants to see a current gas or electric bill with your name and home address on it.

And ... smile ... when you go to Spitalfields, if you see Basil, the ginger tom, please give him a rub behind the ears from me.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
That is great practical advice for a first -timer. Thanks.  As for Basil if I give him some affection maybe he will accompany me to see if number 56 is still there.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 May 14 02:58 BST (UK) »
Here you are, Jo,

Record Citation:

"England, Durham Diocese Bishop's Transcripts, ca. 1700-1900," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-13030-147039-3?cc=1309819&wc=M6KG-PWL:13617901,28552501,28747802 : accessed 15 May 2014), Northumberland > Newcastle upon Tyne, St John > 1803-1821 > image 565 of 799; citing Record Office, Matlock.

Date: 31 August 1817

Baptism of Sarah, daughter of Ralph (master mariner) and Sarah Hindmarsh of Albion Place by John Parkin?/Larkin?, Minister

This "coal-fired unit" (= aged computer)  is acting up tonight - won't let me attach the image so you'll have to look it up again for yourself.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 May 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
What can I say?  I hope someday I will be able to help out someone with family research in the way you have helped me. Though I think it will be sometime before I have your knowledge of where and how to look.
It is so good to have this record and thanks for also writing the words as they are quite difficult to read in the register. Probably better tomorrow in daylight.
A bonus to get an address. i am now off to see if there is an Albion Place in Newcastle.
Thanks again Jo
PS Do you ever sleep?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 May 14 08:59 BST (UK) »
A bonus to get an address. i am now off to see if there is an Albion Place in Newcastle.

Albion Place no longer exists as an address. It is now called Leazes Park Road.

Go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=424529,564619 and then click on the 1861-1862 town plan thumbnail on the right - Albion Place shows up very nicely on that.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 May 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you JenB -that's great.
I found an interesting extract from a book by Eneas Mackenzie published 1827 about  the suburbs of Newgate which talks of  'a long line of neat gardens and shrubberies, which front a row of convenient houses, called Albion Place.' It also talks of nearby Percy St., Strawberry Lane etc. but there was no  map and looking at a modern map I could see evrytjing except Albion Place so I am very happy that you have passed that on.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 May 14 10:14 BST (UK) »
I found an interesting extract from a book by Eneas Mackenzie published 1827 about  the suburbs of Newgate which talks of  'a long line of neat gardens and shrubberies, which front a row of convenient houses, called Albion Place.'

You can see those gardens beautifully on that map.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 May 14 10:22 BST (UK) »
I'm just off to the desktop so I can print it and  have a good look. Thanks again JenB

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 May 14 14:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jo,

"Pay it forward" is my motto. I'm in central Canada, a long way from original sources. If I help others when I can, I hope there will be help for me when I ask for it. I'm going to sign out of this thread now with a parting snippett.

Do you have this from Google Books (see image below)?

The Edinburgh new philosophical journal
books.google.co.uk/books?id=2YxKAAAAcAAJ

For more detail, including drawings, use Google Translate on this webpage:
http://dingler.culture.hu-berlin.de/article/pj031/ar031099

Hindmarsh's Verbesserung an Schiffs-Winden.
dingler.culture.hu-berlin.de/article/pj031/ar031099Translate this page
Autor: Hindmarsh, Ralph ... LXXXXIX. Verbesserung an Schiffs-Winden, worauf Ralph Hindmarsh, Schiff-Meister zu New-Castle upon Tyne, sich am 1. Hornung ...

Good Luck! to you in England.

Cheers,
Westoe