Author Topic: Looking for info for Grace Barber possibly from Wooler area  (Read 4206 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info for Grace Barber possibly from Wooler area
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 July 14 22:15 BST (UK) »

There is a possibility she might have been married before. I dont have the marriage certificate only the record of marriage from family search of David marrying Grace Barber in Wooler. i might have to order the marriage certificate if I cant find anything else. You have given me another avenue to explore.

[/quote]

You won't get marriage certificates for 1780 - civil registration didn't come into effect until 1837

The archives have an unusually good coverage of Presbyterian records for Wooler but only two churches go back far enough to possibly cover the dates you need.  According to genuki the baptisms for Wooler West are included in the IGI so if they aren’t showing up on family search then she won’t be there.  Cheviot Street records begin in 1749 so they might be worth a look.

Just a clarification of something you said earlier about villages and hamlets - these are not parishes in their own right but part of larger ones.  Weetwood, for example, is in the parish of Chatton so for baptisms, marriages and burials for the people of Weetwood you would start with Chatton records.

Are you able to visit Northumberland archives?

Christine

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine I`m hoping to try Woodhorn to look at the presbytarian records they have there but need to compile a list of look ups as I have hit a lot of Brick walls on both my own and husbands side of the family and they are all kind of in the same area

Susan

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 23:09 BST (UK) »
It makes sense to take a 'to do' list.  Now that parking is £3.50, the more you can do in one day the better  :-X

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 June 16 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if I should be using a new thread here but I thought using my old thread would save repeating things. As you can see I`m still looking for the elusive Grace Barber. I did find her burial in Chatton in 3rd March 1805 aged 51 years so thats given me a year of birth of about 1753. I went right through the Chatton records where there were loads of Barbers living but no Grace. One of the witnesses on her marriage to David Rutherford was an Elizabeth Barber which I wondered if she was maybe her sister. There was a marriage for an Elizabeth Barber to Edward Wilson in Chatton in 1775 witnessed by John Barber and John Wilson. The only Grace Barber that I have come across is a one born 1771 in Belford to a father Henry which is way out. However there is a birth for Henry Barber in 1746 in Chatton fathers name John.

I wondered if maybe Henry was also a brother of Grace and named his child after her. There are a lot of children born in Chatton to John Barber of Lynham but gaps in the transcripts so I wondered if she was born elsewhere. Yesterday my hubby went down to Woodhorn archives so I gave him look ups in Belford and he found her baptism on 21/12/1753 on m72. However he didnt get the fathers name.

He said its quite hard to read as the corners are turned up and parts of it are spread about which is probably true tho he more or less came back with the information I gave him for every look up lol. If her fathers name was John it would all tie in nicely

Susan

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 June 16 23:10 BST (UK) »
The further back the records are the more difficult they can be to read.  Book condition is one obstacle (especially when microfilmed) but handwriting can be another.  Sometimes it's atrocious.

Would you like me to double check when I'm there next week?

Christine

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 June 16 23:30 BST (UK) »
The further back the records are the more difficult they can be to read.  Book condition is one obstacle (especially when microfilmed) but handwriting can be another.  Sometimes it's atrocious.

Would you like me to double check when I'm there next week?

Christine

Christine

That would be absolutely brilliant if you could double check it. Thank you so much  :)

Susan

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 July 16 00:32 BST (UK) »
I'm now totally confused (not unusual  ;D ) because I couldn't find a Grace Barber baptised on that date in Belford.  In fact no baptism on that date at all.

Just to make sure I looked at two different transcripts to see if I had missed it but neither of the transcripts included her.  No sign of the Barber surname around that time.  Grace baptised in 1771 was there but not one in 1753  ???

If you can think of anywhere else to look I'd be happy to have another go next week.

Christine

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 July 16 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

My husband said the record he found was right at the very bottom of the page but was broken up as it was scrunched up. He said you could make out the Grace Bar and then the other part ber was on the other page. He said he noted down the number of m72 would that be the microfiche that it is on?

I have looked through the book reader which is available online for baptisms in Chatton going back to 1707. This seems to be the only area where the Barber family appear. The Grace Barber born 1771 in Belford fathers name was Henry. If Henry is the Henry born 1746 in Chatton to John Barber then Henry and Grace born 1753 would be brother and sister.

One of the witnesses at Grace Barber and David Rutherfords wedding in 1770 was an Elizabeth Barber. I found a baptism for an Elizabeth Barber in 1737 Chatton to John Barber however she dies in 1757 but there was an Elizabeth Barber born December 5th 1747 to Thomas Barber. Thomas Barber is the brother of John Barber so the witness Elizabeth Barber could be Graces cousin.

There was also a marriage for an Elizabeth Barber to Edward Wilson in 1775 in Chatton witnessed by John Barber. John Barber could be Graces Brother and Elizabeths cousin.

Going off her burial and that her dob is likely to have been 1753 it dosent seem likely that she had been married before as she would have been 17 when she married David Rutherford.

Thank you for taking a look for me. Only if you can spare the time could you take another look. Please dont go out your way tho as its really frustrating not being able to find her

Susan

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 July 16 18:49 BST (UK) »
M72 is the microfilm number - I went straight for it as I didn't need to check the index - saved a few minutes  :)

I was combing the whole document for the name 'Grace' - sometimes with these old records it's the only way as surnames are never in the same place two lines running.  I only found Grace Scot in 1756 and Grace Harbitle a year or two later but will concentrate on the bottom line next time  :)

It puzzles me though that neither of the two different transcriptions have her recorded.  One of them comes with a comprehensive alphabetical index and she doesn't appear there either.