Author Topic: Robert Lee Christina Moore  (Read 7262 times)

Offline Morgan135

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Lee Christina Moore
« on: Saturday 25 May 13 21:23 BST (UK) »
I am related to the Lee family of Monaghan, Ireland. Robert Lee and Christina Moore (m. 12/2/1853) are my great-great-grandparents. I cannot seem to find any information about my Irish ancestors. I have the info on Christina Moore as she immigrated to the U.S. but she arrived in the U.S. with the surname Leonard. Did she divorce Robert Lee? Did he pass away? I have been unable to find any info on Robert Lee or his father, James? I have no birthdates, death dates or a mother's name. Any info that anyone might have would be helpful as I feel like I have hit a dead end...
Thanks so much!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Lee Christina Moore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 May 13 21:31 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Can we back up a bit and get some more details please?

Where did the marriage of Robert Lee & Christina Moore take place? what religion were they? If they were your great-great-grandparents then they must have had at least one child- when was the youngest known child born? (this will help pinpoint when Robert might have died)
When did Christina arrive in the U.S.? Did she come on her own or bring a child/children with her?

Lots of questions, I know, but the more details we have the easier it will be to help you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Morgan135

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 May 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
Robert Lee and Christina Moore were married in Ematris, Ireland, I don't have a church name, just the date 12/2/1853. His father attended the wedding (James Lee) and her parents (John Moore and Sarah Graham Moore). I really don't know what the religion was, I would guess probably Catholic. They had two girls, Elizabeth M. Lee and Mima Lee (twins, born in March, 1866). Christina immigrated to the U.S. with her daughter Elizabeth in 1889, Mima came two years before them in 1887. Mima married a John Cue in Massachusetts and Elizabeth married a Henry W. Smith in Massachusetts. I have a letter that my great-grandmother (Elizabeth Lee) wrote to the immigration office, she mentioned that she came to the U.S. with her mother, Christina Leonard. Christine was a widow when she arrived, she had been married to a Harry Leonard. That's about all the info I have.  Thanks so much...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 May 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the new details- all very useful. Just a brief timeline to start with-

1853   Robert Lee m. Christina Moore https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGXV-PBK
1866   twin daughters born
1887   daughter Mima arrived U.S.
1889   Christina Leonard (widow) & daughter Elizabeth arrived U.S.
1906   Mima's married to Harrison Adams https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N48Z-TK6

Would expect there to be other children born before 1866. Can't find Mima's birth registration (not under Jemima either) so perhaps the twins were born slightly earlier (birth registration started 1864 although some early births were not registered).

There don't seem to be any death registrations for a Robert Lee in Co. Monaghan from 1864/1889 so perhaps he died before 1864. If so, it's possible that Christina re-married before 1864 as well (registration of Catholic marriages started 1864 also). Divorce was very rare and usually only available to the very wealthy.

Offline Morgan135

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 May 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
The handwritten letter from my great grandmother (Elizabeth Lee) states that she was born in 1866. I don't think that there were any other children although I am not certain of that. I wonder if I should look into Scotland as there was talk that they may have moved there before coming to the U.S. but I have really found nothing going that route either. I do have the info on the second marriage for Mima in 1906 to Harrison Adams. Robert Lee is listed as her father on that certificate.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 May 13 23:07 BST (UK) »
Still searching for clues... will have a look at some Scottish records next.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 May 13 23:21 BST (UK) »
Found 2 online trees (details would need to be verified) but they both say Christina born 7 June 1831 Ireland, died Worcester, Worcester, Mass. and only 2 children listed- Elizabeth M. Lee born Mar.1866 Scotland (1900 census gives birthplace as Scotland) and Mima Leonard born 7 Mar. 1866 Scotland.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find either birth on Scotland's People website.

Offline Morgan135

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 May 13 14:25 BST (UK) »
The info on Christine being born on 7 June 1831 is correct, I have her death certificate and she is buried in Worcester, Mass. Interesting about the two different birtdates, I have had the info of both in 1866. Mima has the surname of Leonard and a birthdate two months later? This is all so confusing....
Where did this Leonard name come into the picture? I have looked at one tree on ancestry.com but it is very incomplete and stops with Christine Leonard. Are there any websites that you would recommend or someplace that I can write to for info?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 May 13 14:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the error- have now corrected earlier post- both girls listed as born March 1866.

The two online trees were on Ancestry- if you don't have a subscription you should be able to view on Mundia.com. Submitted trees can be full of errors but it would be worth trying to make contact with both owners to see if they can shed any light on the family.

I think Christina's death certificate is the source for her date of birth but not sure how the one tree came up with different surnames for the girls  ???