Author Topic: Wilson's in Derrykillagh Townland Fermanagh Ireland info  (Read 7430 times)

Offline derrykeeghanwilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilson's in Derrykillagh Townland Fermanagh Ireland info
« on: Friday 24 August 12 02:25 BST (UK) »
Wilson's in Derrykillagh Townland in the 1700's lived next door to the Derrykeeghan Townland. Wilson only lived in Derrykeeghan from1802, Wilson's from Derrykeeghan had the same names except they mostly where a generation younger.
Have all the info on Wilsons from Derrykeeghan, trying to find any link with the Wilson's in Derrykillagh.

info from the Derrykillagh Townland

Henry Wilson, 24 March1873 died 9 February 1973 of Cavanleck,co Fermanagh-farmer.Administration to Newberry Wilson of Derrykillagh. (sometimes spelt Derryhillagh)

Derrykillagh Newburg (Newberry) wrote a letter to Andrew Wilson of Waternessy, co Fermanagh (also next door to both townlands) in 1870

1789 1 march Newburgh (Newberry) son of William Wilson and Elizabeth
maybe siblings are William 3 June 1784, Job son 1786 10 November
George 1779 4 June

Wilsons in Enniskillen from 1669

This is from a report compiled for my father a researcher in Ireland from official records in 1987
any help would be appreciated

regards
colin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's in Derryhillagh Townland Fermanagh Ireland info
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Updated info
After a trip to Ireland Dna testing has shown  one of the Derryhillagh Wilson (Newbury) have common ancestors about 500-600 years ago to the Derrykeeghan Wilson whose descendants went to Australia. The Australian Derrykeeghan Wilson may be related to one of the other Wilson families in the area, more DNA testing is being done to clarify the family groups. Gortmesson, Waternerry are the other close by townlands, mostly occupied by peoples with the Wilson surname in the 1700-18800-1900's
On the Derrykeeghan Mills Townland (of about 12 houses) they had James and Christopher Wilson from another Derryhillagh family , who are separate from the James and Christopher who descendants came to Australia.
regards
colin

Offline kat0624

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's in Derrykillagh Townland Fermanagh Ireland info
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 June 14 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hello!  I don't know if I am able to make a connection with your Wilson Family, but I have been searching for the family of Barbara Wilson.  She married James Smith (unk. date) approx 1833 in Fermanagh.  They had at least three children: William (1833) born in Drumconor, Fermanagh, Jane (1834) same location, and Thomas Wilson Smith (1837, Boho, Fermanagh).  I know that her husband James died in 1869 in Enniskillen and she was already deceased, but unfortunately it was most like prior to 1864 since I can't locate her death cert.  I have also been unable to locate their tombstone.  Have you come across any Barbara's in your research?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 16 04:14 BST (UK) »
Wilson's update from Derryhillagh, Derrykeeghan, Gortmesson and Waternerry, County Fermanagh. They are all genetically related. have been having testing done for few years. A newspaper article dated 1846 stated mt ggg Grandmother Rebecca was buried in the family plot under a headstone dated 1625. My ancestords are all buried at St Macartins cathedral Enniskillen. Found ggg grandfather Christopher and Rebecca's headstone about 5 weeks ago.
regards
colin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 December 18 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Derrykeeghan, Derryhillagh, Gortmesson, Waternerry Wilson update 12 2018.
Trimble wrote in 1911 that my family had operated the Derrykeeghan mill over at least 200 years.
Only the remnants of the mill survive. Owned now by the Johnston family who bought it of Christopher Wilson's family early 1900's. Townland building pulled down to built the bridge and raise the Ardgart rd in the 1870-1880's.
The surnames on the remaining tombs surrounding our Wilson family Tomb at ST Macartin's Cathedral are all genetically related to my Derrykeeghan Wilson family.
Scott, Crawford (new find this year), Wilson's from Gortmesson.plus a few others.
The descendants of the Gortmesson Wilson's migrated to Australia, The James and Anne Wilson (nee Coulter of Imeroo) of Derryhillagh Children and  migrated to Australia except for one whose descendant lives in the Bayou Mississippi., The Derrykeeghan Wilson children except for Christopher Wilson who inherited the farm and Mill,  migrated to Australia. His sister stayed and and married Alexander Steen from Clogher. Christopher married Sarah Wilson of Waternerry and was the only daughter of Andrew Wilson.
Another Derryhillagh Wilson family remains but relatives of previous generations went to Canada.
We are looking for more Wilson from the area to help with the DNA research.
This group has a unique dna and is not related to 99.99% of person with the Wilson Surname
regards
Colin Wilson

Offline drgug

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 November 19 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Am a distant grandson of Thomas Wilson (son of Robert) and Mary Bell (dtr of William bell 1801-1871) from Kesh / Enniskellen region. I have DNA profiling on Ancestry.com and 23andme. Happy to assist with any research.
Appreciate the work being done.

Offline andid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 December 19 02:25 GMT (UK) »
@ drgug-- I sent you a private message.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 December 19 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  Drgud.

New members need at least two posts before they can send or receive private messages.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's in Derryhillagh Townland Fermanagh Ireland info
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 February 21 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello drgug,
Derrykillagh was another old spelling of Derryhillagh.
The results of DNA testing for the Wilson group done is on Familytree DNA, All have done the Y700 test as it had the best results which now show which family we each belong to in Fermanagh, we know some with the same DNA moved to Tyrone.
I have been looking for a Wilson descended from Thomas for some time, the original Wilson settlers who lived in Topped mountain (Mullyknock) in the early 1600's may have been the ancestors, George Wilson was the other Wilson from the early 1600's retired to Lisbellaw and had son and a grandson George, would like to find a descendant, He was from England.
Ancestry dna test is only a Autosomal DNA test, very general, Ydna test is the only way to get a pure male line result and a Mt Full test is teh only pure female line results.
regards
Colin Wilson