Author Topic: Dockery/Dockerty/Docker & Egan/Haden  (Read 5607 times)

Offline anniejukes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dockery/Dockerty/Docker & Egan/Haden
« on: Sunday 20 October 13 10:01 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my Docker family in Birmingham and am once again trying to find out more about their Roscommon roots...Any hints or help would be much appreciated!  Name variations are making it hard..
John and Jane Dockery have all of their children christened at St Chad's RC Church Birmingham between 1825 - 1845.  Most of the time Jane's maiden name is listed as Egan and sometimes Haden, Ethan, Hayden..
I haven't as yet found a marriage for them in Birmingham which makes me wonder if they married in Ireland.  Census states that they were from County Roscommon and one census is hard to read but looks like Bally Brothen...could be a townland Bally Broghan or something??

John died in 1858 and Jane remarried in 1861 to Joseph Duffield.  The marriage certs states that she was a widow called Jane Rudge (she was living with a rudge on the 51 census).  It also states her father was Michael Haden who was a butcher.
I have spent a long time trying to figure out their Roscommon link and I now think that Michael Haden the butcher might be worth looking down.
Would there be any trade type directories for Roscommon or anywhere that would mention a butcher?

I have all the census etc for their life in Birmingham and would to take it a step back.

Other clues I have are that godparents for a couple of Jane and John's children were Patrick Docker and Kitty Egan.  Not a lot to go on but every extra name helps in family research.

Ann-Marie
Jukes - Birmingham
Shepherd - Warwickshire
Dockery - Birmingham/County Roscommon
Haden - County Roscommon
Haven - Birmingham
Markham - County Clare
Penn - Birmingham
Perry - Bishops Stortford
Pinfield-Wells - Redditch
Bartleet - Redditch
Ruff - Worcestershire?
Crisp - Redditch area
Morris - Alvechurch
Timson - Leicestershire
Smith - Romany gypsies, Leics

Offline helenjanelowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dockery/Dockerty/Docker & Egan/Haden
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne Marie I have been reading your message with much interest as I have also been trying to research this side of my family tree but like you have not got any further than Michael Haden . John Dockery and Jane Haden where my great great great grandparents they had a son Robert born about 1845 this is where my line comes from through my mother. It would be great to correspond with you.

Offline anniejukes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

Thanks a lot for your message.  My connection is through John and Jane's son George.  John and Jane were my Great Great Great Great Grandparents.
My line is: George Dockery and Matilda Lock - John Docker and Sarah Shepherd - Arthur Penn and Alice Docker - Herbert Jukes and Alice Penn - John Jukes and Janet Perry - John Jukes and Dawn Minchin - Then me.

Would love to know what info you might have.  I have a few certs and parish record info if that helps?

Regards
Ann-Marie
Jukes - Birmingham
Shepherd - Warwickshire
Dockery - Birmingham/County Roscommon
Haden - County Roscommon
Haven - Birmingham
Markham - County Clare
Penn - Birmingham
Perry - Bishops Stortford
Pinfield-Wells - Redditch
Bartleet - Redditch
Ruff - Worcestershire?
Crisp - Redditch area
Morris - Alvechurch
Timson - Leicestershire
Smith - Romany gypsies, Leics

Offline helenjanelowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 April 15 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne Marie

Thank you for replying to my message it would be great if you could send me copies of the certificates and any info that you have.  I found out that by 1851 John Dockery had become a Docker and was living with his wife Jane and 3 sons in Henrietta Street Birmingham and his occupation was a bricklayer but I expect you know this already. My mothers grandmother Emma Docker was the last to carry person to carry the surname in our family .

I look forward to hearing from you

Helen   :)