Author Topic: Neely's in londonderry  (Read 21212 times)

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Neely's in londonderry
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 15:29 BST (UK) »
Also, his church of marriage may have been his wife's local, but equally it could have also been his - so may also be where his birth was registered. Have you tried them for records from the timescale you need?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 15:31 BST (UK) »
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 15:48 BST (UK) »
IGI lists 6 children born to Oliver Neely & Elizabeth Frazer but some of these are submitted records which need to be treated with caution.

The Oliver Neely I was asking about married Lizzie Fraser in St Columbs Londonderry in 22/10/1880.

If Oliver Neely was married in 1880 it is more than likely that he was born before 1860. Does his marriage give his age?

I sure i got his age from his death certificate and done the maths as they say, but I also have a 1891 census return from scotlands people making him 31 at the time with his wife Lizzie being 32 so I am pretty confident that he was born around 1860
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 July 07 20:08 BST (UK) »
OLIVER NEELY MARRIED LIZZIE FRASER  22-9-1881 AT ST.COLUMBS COFI TEMPLEMORE DERRY.

REGARDS MARY.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline joeyscat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

im trying to find out if John Neely & Margaret Jane Boyd had any more children that the ones that I already know about.

Do you know anything about John (1819) Neely's parents or sibling?

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Joe,

Unfortunately I know very little about John Neely's parents or his siblings.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline joeyscat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I think my great great grandfather Robert was a younger brother of his. John was born in 1819 and Robert was born in 1921. Where Robert's children were christened, marriage records show there was also a William and an Alexander who were probably about the same age and a Matthew who was possibly about 10 years older, so there could have been a number of brothers not just the two we know about.

How much have you on John's descendents? A lot went to Scotland but some stayed in Ireland.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Joeyscat

from what I can gather 3 of John's sons went to live in Glasgow & I have a lot of information regarding them.

I also have photographs of a memorial to John & his wife from a small cemetery in Londonderry just near the border with the south.

Im also pretty sure that Matthew is his son also and reckon that his son was the founder of the funeral directors called Neely from Londonderry.

As an aside, one of the sons who moved to Glasgow had a descendant, also called Matthew, who was killed in Cyprus during the conflict there in the 1950's.

Offline joeyscat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Yeah he had 5 sons and two daughters from the information I have, three went to Scotland and one, Robert, definitely stayed in Derry, his family were the ones that became Neely and Adair the undertakers. The monument was put up by Mathew to his father at Killea, I don't know what happened to him apart from the fact he was alive to put the monument up and died in 1918 presumably still in Derry, he would have been the youngest. I don't know if Matthew was also in the funeral business but I can find out, I know Robert's great-grandson I'll be talking to him this week sometime, his father also ran the business until he retired.

This isn't my information, I recently came across it when trying to piece together my line, which is why I was interested in John's parents. You probably already know this stuff.